Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2024 Kentucky Oaks/Derby Days Final Figures Churchill Downs May 3 & May 4, 2024 
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
OT -- Rolling Stones and Horseracing (797 Views)
Posted by: SoCalMan2 (IP Logged)
Date: August 05, 2005 08:19AM

It has been touched on before that there are some Stones fans on this site. I have always been interested by the fact that both Jagger and Richards seem to be fans of horseracing (and gambling). Aside from references in interviews, some of their songs definitely touch on racing. Seeing as how they are about to go on tour again, I thought maybe it was appropriate to explore the topic (although I denoted it as "OT"-- Off Topic -- and the proprietor is always able to strike offensive material) Anyway, here are some obvious excerpts from songs involving horseracing, anybody else aware of songs where horseracing references appear? Extra points to anybody who knows which song the third excerpt is from (hint, it is not a jagger-richards composition but it is a song performed by them on a somewhat obscure record). the first two excerpts should be very easy for any self-respecting Stones fans.

Well when you're sitting back
in your rose pink Cadillac

Making bets on Kentucky Derby Day

I'll be in my basement room
with a needle and a spoon

And another girl can take my pain away

Take a thousand dollars
go have some fun
put it all down at a hundred to one
hang fire, hang fire,
put it on the wire

You bet the horses
and I'll pick up the dough

Tumbling Dice has tons of gambling references and uses the term 'Rank Outsider' while Midnight Rambler has a whole verse about a Midnight Gambler (which is how I feel betting on the internet 8 hours ahead of NYC and 11 hours ahead of SoCal). Satisfaction (or, I can't get no Satisfaction) contains the line -- "you see I'm on a losing streak." There are also songs such as "Wild Horses", "Beast of Burden", and "Bitch" ("Sometimes I'm sexy, move like a stud, kicking the stall all night") with equine references. Finally, Carly Simon's "You're So Vain" with the reference to Saratoga ("and your horse naturally won") relates to the Stones in that Jagger is one of the people rumored to be the subject of this song.

Subject Written By Posted
OT -- Rolling Stones and Horseracing (797 Views) SoCalMan2 08/05/2005 08:19AM
Re: OT -- Rolling Stones and Horseracing (481 Views) HP 08/05/2005 08:54AM
Re: OT -- Rolling Stones and Horseracing (472 Views) richiebee 08/05/2005 09:53AM
Re: OT -- Rolling Stones and Horseracing (504 Views) SoCalMan2 08/05/2005 10:01AM
Re: OT -- Rolling Stones and Horseracing (477 Views) HP 08/05/2005 10:19AM
Re: OT -- Rolling Stones and Horseracing (469 Views) flushedstraight 08/05/2005 12:31PM
Re: OT -- Rolling Stones and Horseracing (400 Views) SoCalMan2 08/05/2005 01:10PM
Re: OT -- Rolling Stones and Horseracing (502 Views) mandown 08/05/2005 02:50PM
Re: OT -- Rolling Stones and Horseracing (427 Views) richiebee 08/05/2005 02:57PM
Re: OT -- Rolling Stones and Horseracing (454 Views) Delmar Deb 08/05/2005 03:03PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.