Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 1 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Re: Hey, I Gotta Coupla Questions (918 Views)
Posted by: Jason L. (IP Logged)
Date: June 10, 2002 05:38PM

Yes, I believe that averages used correctly are the most accurate way of determining variants. That is the core of this debate. If you don't believe in them, then you are only left with the TG methodology, so obviously you should use TG.

I think of "bad rails" the same way I think of changing track speeds on the same day, they happen, but nearly as often as people think.

I can't argue that any of these "anomolies" don't exist. But if I take seriously everything you say, then I would buy nobody's sheets because they really just made up. The real question is how often does this stuff happen and how do you know it happened. When JB adjusts for anomolies, I would guess that sometimes he is right, sometimes he is wrong, and the same with Ragozin.

One inaccurate number for all horses in a race may or may not show up through examination. It depends on the types of horses, how they run the next time, and how "inaccurate" the number is. Further, what if the "real" number is somewhere in between the Ragozin and Thorograph number. More importantly, we always have these debates about a particular day that just occurred, thus it is impossible to see if what you are saying is true. That is why it wouled be necessary to look at a number of sheets over the last three years and have JB point out where he adjusted for "anomolies" and then maybe we could see what happened.

I'll close by asking you and JB a question. I live in So. Cal. and own a couple of horses. I can tell you that horse racing today is not the same as it was even 5 years ago. More horses are souped up on steroids and god knows what elese (mostly legally). This makes horses run big efforts, sustain them for a small period of time and then fall apart. They cannot fill any races here other than maiden races. Thus, seeing sheets that show horses doing crazy things at the major tracks corresponds with I see happening to racing. (I won't name anybody on this board, but I would be interested in seeing the TG sheets for a couple of trainers in So. Cal.)

Why is it that Ragozin's sheets for mid-level claiming races at small tracks where horses run every two weeks have much more consistent running lines? Are only the big tracks "variable" in major cities? Why is that when I started betting in the early '90s did the Ragozin sheets look much smoother? Did these track issues only surface recently?

Subject Written By Posted
Hey, I Gotta Coupla Questions (1500 Views) TGJB 06/07/2002 05:34PM
Re: Hey, I Gotta Coupla Questions (918 Views) nunzio 06/07/2002 06:04PM
Re: Hey, I Gotta Coupla Questions (964 Views) Jason L. 06/07/2002 06:33PM
Re: Hey, I Gotta Coupla Questions (954 Views) nunzio 06/07/2002 07:12PM
Re: Hey, I Gotta Coupla Questions (1003 Views) TGJB 06/07/2002 07:27PM
Re: Hey, I Gotta Coupla Questions (920 Views) Alydar in California 06/10/2002 05:12AM
Re: Hey, I Gotta Coupla Questions (997 Views) TGJB 06/10/2002 04:39PM
Re: Hey, I Gotta Coupla Questions (918 Views) Jason L. 06/10/2002 05:38PM
Re: Hey, I Gotta Coupla Questions (935 Views) TGJB 06/10/2002 07:00PM
Re: Hey, I Gotta Coupla Questions (920 Views) Jason L. 06/10/2002 07:26PM
Re: Hey, I Gotta Coupla Questions (980 Views) TGJB 06/10/2002 08:46PM
here's what I can't understand (952 Views) superfreakicus 06/11/2002 05:11AM
Re: here's what I can't understand (909 Views) TGJB 06/11/2002 04:15PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.