Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 1 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Calling out the Freak (1587 Views)
Posted by: Seattle Slew (IP Logged)
Date: June 11, 2002 04:25PM

The post-contest yapping on this board has motivated me to sign-up and post for the first and probably the last time. I know this is like paying attention to the adolescent punk who is always being obnoxious to get your attention but when he keeps farting in your face, you almost have to respond.

Here is a brief recap of Superfreaky's contest wagers.

First race: Hooked-up the two favorites in an exacta: $266 gross return minus $120 wagered on the race for a $166 net return (about 3/2). Not bad but not something most people would brag about. Note that one of those 2 exacta horses (the 9/5 fav) was a Mott/Bailey horse that had not run in 8 or 9 months. You must have been using those awesome jock/trainer and trainer/layoff stats that come with the Rags to make that pick.

Second race: I tip my hat to you. You pegged a 12/1 shot making its first US start. This horse looked so good on Rags that they did not even bother to include a sheet on him. I guess they must have sent out a subliminal message to all raggies that, based on their precise Euro variants and measurements of runnups and weather charts, this horse was running monster figs in Europe. Dave Patent must not have had his subliminal decoder working at that time. This was a very nice score. One worthy of crowing about. You cashed a $475 daily double (keying this no-fig horse with the 2 favs in the first race) and you also cashed a $275 win ticket (on this no-fig horse) but failed to cash any of your other bets in the race using horses that actually had Rag figs. This was a nice score: $750 and the reason you managed to end up in the black in the contest but it was all thanks to a horse that did not even have a Rag sheet. In other words, the sheets did not help you at all except to guide you toward the two favs in the first and to some losing tickets in the second. I am not sure what you based your winning wagering decision on in this race but it was certainly not on Rag figures. You made a good bet. Maybe you had some inside info. Maybe you work for or know K. McLaughlin. Maybe you use info sources other than the Rags. Nice score but certainly not one you can give Rags any credit for.

Other than that, your only other cash was on a $10 exacta box in the 8th race. That may have been a good bet or may have been simply a lucky one given that the rest of your rag-based bets with the $650 remaining in your contest bankroll failed to return anything despite spreading it out on multiple horses in multiple races. In fact, you owe most of your success in the contest to a single horse without a sheet! Yet you chide the winner of the contest for picking only two horses and hitting with one of them. If you had followed his approach and not used the Rags and attacked the card as a precision marksman with a rifle rather than a hillbilly with a shotgun, you probably would have won the contest going away.

Maybe you could learn something from all this.

As for your cohort, David Patent. I actually thought he did a pretty good job handicapping but he was hurt by the scratches. That being said, I wish he could see how totally classless his post-contest remarks were. I believe he may have hit those trifectas on Belmont Day. But to crow about them after he failed to select any of them beforehand in the contest is just beyond my comprehension, particularly, given all the hoopla leading up to the contest. David, grow up. Show some class. You are a good handicapper and maybe even a good guy but you made a very bad decision with that post.

Subject Written By Posted
Calling out the Freak (1587 Views) Seattle Slew 06/11/2002 04:25PM
Re: Calling out the Freak (959 Views) HP 06/11/2002 04:52PM
Re: Calling out the Freak (1003 Views) tegger 06/11/2002 05:15PM
Re: seattle slew (954 Views) superfreakicus 06/11/2002 05:35PM
Re: seattle slew (970 Views) bdhsheets 06/14/2002 05:52AM
Re: re: seattle slew (963 Views) superfreakicus 06/14/2002 06:21AM
Re: Calling out the Freak (1029 Views) Jason L. 06/11/2002 08:38PM
Re: Calling out the Freak (1081 Views) bdhsheets 06/14/2002 07:22AM
Re: Calling out the Freak (1114 Views) Jason L. 06/14/2002 04:18PM
Yale is the same (934 Views) Anonymous User 06/14/2002 09:23PM
Re: Yale is the same (982 Views) Alydar in California 06/14/2002 11:47PM
Re: Calling out the Freak (1025 Views) Anonymous User 06/14/2002 10:18PM
Re: Calling out the Freak (936 Views) Alydar in California 06/14/2002 10:26PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.