Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2024 Kentucky Oaks/Derby Days Final Figures Churchill Downs May 3 & May 4, 2024 
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Dubai is Miami (1049 Views)
Posted by: TGJB (IP Logged)
Date: March 30, 2006 12:35PM

All right, here's the report on the trip, though I'm not close to completely recovered yet.

Dubai is a western city, specifically, Miami with a lot more money. All the signs are in both English and Arabic, there is construction going on all over the place, 90% of the people are in western dress, everyone speaks English, you hit your first Starbucks within 5 minutes of the airport (not counting the one in the airport). All the workers are from Asia, mostly Pakistan and India, and they don't make out as well, but better than at home. (One woman working at the hotel had a 4yo child back home in the Phillipines, she gets to see her 2 weeks a year).

The hotel where they put us up is owned by Sheik Mohammed, and is only 5 stars, not to be confused with the 7 star job half a mile away. Still, it was quite a place, with waterways and gondolas to take you around.

They held the draw the day after we got there, and things got serious pretty fast. It took place in a theater seating a few hundred, about 50 of which were world wide media, with highly produced short films by all the sponsors of the various races, and race footage of every horse in the World Cup. Lots of soeeches, then a complicated draw involving backgammon sets for each horse with a number inside corresponding to a post position. After about 5 minutes you get that this is not Dutow and Levine over the Inner at Aqueduct.

The next day they had a breakfast at the track, so we went (late), passing the nearby camel track-- FYI, they now use remote controlled robots to ride them, since people complained that too many 6yo kids were getting dropped at high speed. I was told the camel track is 10 miles around-- the races are LONG.

After breakfast at the track we stopped by the Godolphin Gallery on the way out. Now, I have to preface this part by saying I had just been thinking what a great job Sheik Mohammed had done to create this huge event out of nowhere, out of his pocket (I still think this), and how glad I was to be there, and part of it-- I was actually a little choked up looking at the track, thinking how far we were from Greenwich Village.

Then we got to the gallery. With it's shrine for each Godolphin GI winner, and editorial copy next to each one that said things like "Europe was no match for the onslaught of such a great Owner" (that's right, capital O). Of course, my reaction was, I would really like to beat this guy's ass... but alas...

They took us all (meaning about 1,000 of us, including all the corporate types) about an hour out into the desert that night, for food, fireworks, belly dancers, tumblers, and overall one heck of a party. Everything first class, all the way.

Friday was the golf outing, I hit the ball well, ready for Spring, and Cerin can hit the ball a mile. We only played 9, fortunately lost the scorecard.
By then owner Parra was in town, and we tried to get into the underwater restaurant Michael D. mentioned here, but couldn't. I though the place we ended up in was fair, others liked it more.

Raceday-- there's less to tell here than you might think. The track is huge, you guys probably saw all the racews better than I did, even with binoculars. It's wierd not having a tote board. The owners area is a luxury box and it's great, once you find it-- organization and communication in general is not the strong point of this event.

They did an unbelievable show between races, don't know if they showed it on TV, with dancers suspended from balloons, among other things. Wild.

The best part was getting to go to the paddock for the race, with the trophies there. Right up to the point where Super frolic, who had been doing great all week, acted up and washed out in 30 seconds flat. Don't know whether that caused the bad effort or was an effect (of a problem somewhere), but Vlado went from thinking we were going to win to giving up all hope in the blink of an eye.

Godolphin winds, Dettori is annoying, the people rejoice.

Now, as some of you know, my girlfriend (Chris) is a writer, and she specializes in the Middle East. By coincidence she is writing a book about Oman, which is only a 40 minute flight away, so when Ro was nice enough to give us the trip, she insisted we go there. We went Sunday morning, and spent the next two days touring. It's very interesting, and very different than Dubai-- not as rich, an actual Arab country, but according to 3 different people the friendliest and most open minded of the Arab states, one that Arabs come to to "let their hair down" (that's a quote). They do have some nice hotels, I would go back there.

By the way-- it's no surprise that the Port deal went south, with Bush/Cheney saying "War On Terror" and changing color codes every 30 seconds and scaring the crap out of everybody for 5 years. But I'll tell you what, we shouldn't just have let them buy those ports, we should hire them to handle ALL the ports.

1-- Dubai is all about business. And something blowing up would be very bad for business. They are highly motivated.

2-- The tightest security I have ever encountered, BY FAR, was at the Dubai airport coming home. The screened the bags 3 different times, the metal detector is set to flash at very low readings-- low enough that they pulled Chris into another room and a woman checked the wire in her bra. They take that stuff a lot more seriously than we do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2006 12:39PM by TGJB.

Subject Written By Posted
Dubai is Miami (1049 Views) TGJB 03/30/2006 12:35PM
Re: Dubai is Miami (650 Views) bobphilo 03/30/2006 01:13PM
Re: Dubai is Miami (578 Views) RICH 03/30/2006 02:03PM
Re: Dubai is Miami (633 Views) TGJB 03/30/2006 02:17PM
Re: Dubai is Miami (544 Views) marcus 03/30/2006 02:29PM
Re: Dubai is Miami (536 Views) JohnTChance 03/30/2006 02:48PM
Re: Dubai is Miami (530 Views) richiebee 03/30/2006 03:18PM
Re: Dubai is Miami (545 Views) JJP 03/30/2006 03:23PM
Re: Dubai is Miami (559 Views) TGJB 03/30/2006 03:34PM
Re: Dubai is Miami (558 Views) magicnight 03/30/2006 03:48PM
Re: Dubai is Miami (571 Views) TGJB 03/31/2006 01:50PM
Re: Dubai is Miami (662 Views) JJP 04/14/2006 09:19AM
Re: Dubai is Miami (516 Views) davidrex 04/14/2006 01:00PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.