Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2024 Kentucky Oaks/Derby Days Final Figures Churchill Downs May 3 & May 4, 2024 
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Re: Timeform - Beyer - TG Conversions (2310 Views)
Posted by: bobphilo (IP Logged)
Date: March 31, 2006 01:43AM

Caradoc,

for my Beyer-TG comparison I used 100 running lines from the PP's of stakes races which I had handicapped. All the data were part of a matched pair of Beyer and TG ratings given to the same horse for the same race. the 2 sets of data were averaged to get 2 means equivalent to each other. I calculated from the ratio of points assigned for beaten legths at the same distance for both sytems and found that 1 TG point equals 3 Beyer points. Using this ratio brought the TG zero equal to Beyer 101. Any deviations from this point would be counted as a 3 to 1 ratio of Beyers to TG.

For the Timeform - Beyer ratio, I used the Dr. Roman study and a smaller number of my own races to determine that the scale was the same 1/1 ratio for both scales with the only difference being the 15 point higher Timeform standard. Therefore one need only substract 15 from the Timeform rating to get the Beyer. Having done this, in order to get the TG from Timeform, one must first transform the Timeform to Beyer and then convert the Beyer to TG, as given above.
I'm not totally familiar with the methodology used to obtain Timeform ratings except that since European courses vary so much for different races, even at the same track, and the pace can vary so much from race to race that horses are basically compared to their competetors in terms of beaten lengths in the race they ran using the projection method for the most consistent horses that ran an in form race. Jerry could probably give you a more detailed discription of how timeforms are calculated. My personal experience is that they are very skillfully crafted and accurate.

I'm falling asleep as I write this due to the lateness of the hour and hope i was able to answer your questions. If not, feel free to ask me for any further clarification you may need tomorrow.

Good night for now,
Bob

Subject Written By Posted
Timeform - Beyer - TG Conversions (4408 Views) bobphilo 03/30/2006 04:29PM
Re: Timeform - Beyer - TG Conversions (874 Views) NoCarolinaTony 03/30/2006 10:34PM
Re: Timeform - Beyer - TG Conversions (1107 Views) bobphilo 03/30/2006 11:52PM
Re: Timeform - Beyer - TG Conversions (1231 Views) Caradoc 03/31/2006 12:35AM
Re: Timeform - Beyer - TG Conversions (2310 Views) bobphilo 03/31/2006 01:43AM
Re: Timeform - Beyer - TG Conversions (1016 Views) TGJB 03/31/2006 01:02PM
Re: Timeform - Beyer - TG Conversions (790 Views) bobphilo 03/31/2006 02:03PM
Re: Timeform - Beyer - TG Conversions (739 Views) marcus 03/31/2006 09:57PM
Re: Timeform - Beyer - TG Conversions (823 Views) bobphilo 03/31/2006 11:28PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.