Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2024 Kentucky Oaks/Derby Days Final Figures Churchill Downs May 3 & May 4, 2024 
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Deja Vu and other ramblings (824 Views)
Posted by: STB (IP Logged)
Date: April 16, 2006 01:15AM

Private purchase involving Baffert, wins Derby prep in huge performance, public writes it off as a fraud, deja vu all over again?

Meadowlands harness Thursday night, race 2. 19-1 winner. 11-1 shot 2nd, show spot goes to 58-1 piece. 1/9 shot - yes, one-to-nine shot - outta the money. Exacta comes back $80 for $2, tri $360 for a buck. You have to applaud that kind of chutzpah, no? They JUST busted a bunch of people down there for race-fixing. Yeah. I got your bust right here, pal.

Get an excited email from a friend yesterday. He likes Storm Treasure for the gimmicks in the Blue Grass. He calls me ten minutes before the race today, wants to know if I liked the horse at all. He talks me into believing the thing can run in there. I play him in tri's. My friend plays him underneath the faves in exactas. At the last second he calls back into Brisbet and puts him underneath Sinister Minister. Plus $10 to place. My tris go nowhere, because they all involve Zito.

This was an overreaction to Sun King - Sun King!! For Chrissakes, is there no justice in the world!! - beating me the race before. At the eight pole I was counting my money on Kazoo. Yes he looked gassed but when you need a guy to drag your horse kicking and screaming through a final furlong he wants no part of, you can do a lot worse than Migliore for my money. After we got run over I figured, why try to fight city hall, obviously there's no stopping Nicky at this point. The worst part is I didn't even like the horse.

Went over to OTB yesterday, mostly just to have a few beers and to forget about a lousy week. After a few pints of Bass Ale I decide to make one play. Mott horse in GP 9th looks like a cinch, she's real short but I liked a couple of prices to run underneath. Keyed Mott over the #6 for a $20 exacta (got hammered late, went from $54 to $41 last couple of minutes) and $2 tri keying Mott over the 6 and a couple others. The Mott horse airs, my exacta horse is in the mix for 2nd but then fades...long story longer, I catch the tri, or so I think, until I look at my ticket and see I got one that has the 6 keyed on top. Either I called it out wrong or he punched it wrong, but I should have checked. Then they put up the unofficial order and they got the 4 in third, which makes me feel better...until they correct the mistake and take out the 4 and put up the 6. $334 tri, not life altering but a nice little bankroll churner for a guy like me.

Lawyer Ron didn't look all that rateable today, to me. He rated for part of one race, so I'm figuring him part of the up-front crowd in the Derby, and it looks like that's going to be quite a crowd. LR, SNS, Barbaro, BD, SM, other I'm probably forgetting. Thinking you want something from the back. A couple of those types that look OK at this point might be Point Determined and Sunriver. The Blue Grass results, and their effect on the graded earnings list, may force the latter into running in the Lexington next week. Pletcher didn't really sound like he wants to run him again, but it might be the best thing for him. But who knows. Since my moon appears to be in piss-on-the-seat mode in all facets of life at the moment, it's probably best to disregard my current Derby thoughts.

Subject Written By Posted
Deja Vu and other ramblings (824 Views) STB 04/16/2006 01:15AM
Re: Deja Vu and other ramblings (524 Views) davidrex 04/16/2006 08:42AM
Re: Deja Vu and other ramblings (567 Views) Chuckles_the_Clown2 04/16/2006 09:28AM
Re: Deja Vu and other ramblings (462 Views) miff 04/16/2006 10:56AM
Re: Deja Vu and other ramblings (466 Views) richiebee 04/16/2006 11:11AM
Re: Deja Vu and other ramblings (483 Views) miff 04/16/2006 11:19AM
Re: Deja Vu and other ramblings (480 Views) Chuckles_the_Clown2 04/16/2006 11:21AM
Re: Deja Vu and other ramblings (518 Views) big18741 04/16/2006 11:48AM
Re: Deja Vu and other ramblings (486 Views) miff 04/16/2006 11:56AM
Re: Deja Vu and other ramblings (463 Views) miff 04/16/2006 11:53AM
Re: Deja Vu and other ramblings (478 Views) Chuckles_the_Clown2 04/16/2006 11:58AM
Re: Deja Vu and other ramblings (595 Views) asfufh 04/16/2006 10:44AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.