Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2024 Kentucky Oaks/Derby Days Final Figures Churchill Downs May 3 & May 4, 2024 
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
2006 Kentucky Derby Pros and Cons (1039 Views)
Posted by: Chuckles_the_Clown2 (IP Logged)
Date: May 05, 2006 09:40PM

Its called Pari Mutual wagering for a reason. It means "among ourselves" and we don't have to share the same opinion. If we did it would make for a very boring event.

What follows helps me focus and put into thought impressions that strike me at a gutteral level. It helps me, if it helps inform others fine, but take what I say with a grain of salt and don't let your own strong opinions be swayed. This is my personal view, Pro, Con or both for all the entries in the field. That said my mind could even change before the race. I am still looking at it and it is clearly one of the most interesting and difficult Kentucky Derbies I have ever handicapped. If you win this Derby I believe you can proclaim: "I won the toughest Derby of them all." I hope I can join you in that announcement.

Now the field:

1. Jazil...This one is a bit of an enigma to me. He most certainly will not pull the same trip he got in the Wood and that alone will be difficult for him to overcome. Its also possible he got a wet track jump in the Wood, but he was a good horse vs. Corinthian prior to that, which tends to indicate he ran his race in the Wood. To my eye he's much more competitive than Giacomo was last year and if the hot pace develops he certainly could hit the exotics. I probably will play him (Even this depends upon the early race results) very minimally in 2nd and in 3rd and 4th only within the tougher exotics. The knock against him is that Scanlon's Song also closed in the Wood. Hunch is the Wood close was illusory and trip added.

2. Steppenwolfer...A horse whose sire liked the track and who has run well with trouble. If the pace meltdown occurs you have to factor him. I think theres better perfecta horses, but he could wind up as high as 2nd for me.

3. Keyed Entry...Depending on the track and his pace decision he could hit the exotics. Currently 4th is as high as I can remotely see him and he could cave.

4. Sinister Minister...Freak or Geek? Keeneland is so notorious for producing one run busts. No position taken.

5. Point Determined...I don't think as highly of Brother Derek and A.P. Warrior as others. If I don't how can this horse really be that highly regarded to plunge significant money upon? He's still eligible for a NW2X. He doesn't look like his daddy either. He could do it. I won't rule him out. But for some reason, I'm not afraid of him amd he won't take my best intended wagers.

6. Showing Up, I'm still studying this horse. Barclay Tagg is no Todd Pletcher, Dale Romans or Dick Dutrow. The mere fact that he apparently is going to run speaks volumes. The slow Lexington time doesn't bother me in the least. I also am gaining the highest regard for Lael Stables. Apparently horsemanship matters to them. He will be on my ticket, deliberating where and how heavily.

7. Bob and John...I believe this horse has more ability and a better pattern than most do. One of my perfecta box horses. He could win.

8. Barbaro...Working great. Big horse. Still think his best was bias aided, but I will use him minimally under and over my key.

9. Sharp Humor...I will let this one beat me. He's gonna be 40-1. If he can get the lead, I suppose that moves him up. Caveat note how slow he came home in the Swale when he had to battle for the lead.

10. A.P.Warrior...you can't bet them all. You have to draw some lines somewhere, mine dares him to cross it.

11. Sweetnorthernsaint...I clearly like this horse and will have him atop perfectas, just not sure hes my key.

12. Private Vow, not sure what everyone sees in this horse. To me he appears a bit headstrong and prone to fade when things don't go his way. Too Slow too.

to be continued...

Following the Rest of the Field

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2006 06:45AM by Chuckles_the_Clown2.

Subject Written By Posted
2006 Kentucky Derby Pros and Cons (1039 Views) Chuckles_the_Clown2 05/05/2006 09:40PM
Re: 2006 Kentucky Derby Pros and Cons (563 Views) Chuckles_the_Clown2 05/06/2006 07:21AM
Re: 2006 Kentucky Derby Pros and Cons (494 Views) tmcdevitt 05/06/2006 09:57AM
Re: 2006 Kentucky Derby Pros and Cons (521 Views) richiebee 05/06/2006 10:11AM
Re: 2006 Kentucky Derby Pros and Cons (474 Views) Chuckles_the_Clown2 05/06/2006 11:00AM
Re: 2006 Kentucky Derby Pros and Cons (526 Views) miff 05/06/2006 11:10AM
Re: 2006 Kentucky Derby Pros and Cons (476 Views) Chuckles_the_Clown2 05/06/2006 12:03PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.