Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 2 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Damn "Bloody" Good Reading (808 Views)
Posted by: Silver Charm (IP Logged)
Date: October 27, 2006 03:24PM

Some real good pieces that are Breeders Cup related are up in the Editorial section of Bloodhorse.com. Two written by Ray Paulick and one by Andrew Rosen.

It was probably only fitting that the Rosen family and Chiefs Crown won the first Breeders Cup race ever run. Classy, well-bred and game. This was what the Breeders Cup was supposed to be all about wasn't it. I will never forget that day myself. I spent it in the basement of a good friend, it was totally a new thing for us. A full view of national racing in America. New fans don't take that comment for granted. Back then there were so many good races and good horses that no one ever got to see or even look at the Past Performances. Everything was regional. Not today and maybe Money and the Breeders Cup had something to do with changing that. Certainly the former.

Paulicks piece on Breeders Cup moments could probably have been written by everyone. Certainly everybody has theirs. My greatest one I will tell later.

The piece on Lukas and Pletcher probably fits around Breeders Cup perfectly. The Old Empire back in the 80's was despised by nearly everyone in the game particularly the tradionalists and now we are watching a version of "The Empire Strikes Back". People should not underestimate the amount of Organizational and Management skills it takes to run an operation this large. The Energy, Drive and Discipline is left for the rest of us to only imagine.

Wayne Lukas realized there was money to had, stallion value to be captured, and even moreso another National TV audience to stand in front of and tell everyone "I told you so." Wayne threw nearly his entire operation at this event just as he did the Triple Crown. When the Tradionalists were shutting down for the winter and heading to Aiken or Miami Lakes, Waynes Operation was at full ramp. The Breeders Cup needed this type of full commitment from racings biggest players to become established. Some gave it some didn't, over time everybody now is "all in". While there probably aren't too many people who will stop by his paddock stall before the Juvy and say thanks for being one of the ones who helped set the table for the all of the purses and prestige to be had on Breeders Cup Day, don't think for a second the Breeders Cup doesn't remember. There is only one set of box seats that sits right on the finish line, under cover, at perfect eye level view and every year that one has Waynes name on it.

I know because in 1999 I had the day to myself in it. Except for the moment I had to go down to the winners circle after Cat Thief won the Breeders Cup Classic..........

Subject Written By Posted
Damn "Bloody" Good Reading (808 Views) Silver Charm 10/27/2006 03:24PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.