Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2024 Kentucky Oaks/Derby Days Final Figures Churchill Downs May 3 & May 4, 2024 
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Re: Street Sense Lead Change and Other Ramblings (473 Views)
Posted by: imallin (IP Logged)
Date: April 16, 2007 12:02PM

Its a combination of struggling for air and the way the horse is built. Some animals legs are built a certain way that makes it comfortable for them to race on the improper lead at certain stages of the race. This Street Sense has front bandages too, i can't imagine that's a positive handicapping angle.

Also, some horse's race on the incorrect lead thru heredity. I think Strike the Gold had problems changing leads being a son of Alydar who also was beaten numerous times by Affirmed because he didn't know how to change leadslate in races. STG was 'built' to be comfortable racing that way.

I believe STG switched leads late in the stretch in his Derby win and really kicked in when he did.

Street Sense actually switches leads turning for home and then flips back halfway down the lane.....where as a horse like Alydar never changed leads at all on most occasions.

Also, one last thing....although we are not privy to this type of videotape, seeing which lead a horse races on while on the backstretch may tell a different tale. When horses are on the backstretch, they are 'going easily' and not extended, so which lead they race on may be different from the lead they race on down the homestretch when heavy pressure is applied by the rider.

Being on the 'wrong' lead can't ever be a good thing. Its not necessarily bad depending on each individual horse's habits, but i can't imagine you can ever say its positive in any way.

Subject Written By Posted
Street Sense Lead Change and Other Ramblings (741 Views) Uncle Buck 04/15/2007 10:51PM
Re: Street Sense Lead Change and Other Ramblings (473 Views) imallin 04/16/2007 12:02PM
Re: Street Sense Lead Change and Other Ramblings (482 Views) miff 04/16/2007 12:44PM
Re: Street Sense Lead Change and Other Ramblings (508 Views) NoCarolinaTony 04/16/2007 12:48PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.