Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 2 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Circular Quay, Derby Madness & Negative Numbers (1463 Views)
Posted by: Chuckles_the_Clown2 (IP Logged)
Date: April 23, 2007 07:26PM

Flighted Iron wrote:

“No Eddie.Some of us have not forgotten CQ.It's quite possible CQ has run the
fastest TG# for a 3 year old male so far.I'm sticking to him and his 8 week
layoff.Yes,he hasn't gone past 8 1/2 furlongs,but so what!Everything about
this horse suggests distance will not be an issue.Coming from so far back through
traffic is the only concern I have.Hopefully a Pleasant Colony trip is in the
works.
farewell”

Circular Quay: http://www.pedigreequery.com/circular+quay

The Thunder Gulch part of the pedigree isn’t bad, but in reality his best one is Point Given and that one was out of a Turkoman mare. Circular Quay is out of a Belong to Me mare and Belong to Me was never effective beyond a sprint. Quay’s direct tail female family to four generations is best right at his dam and she was a mid distance, second cut stakes filly. There’s quite a big difference in pedigree between Quay and Point Given.

Quays rush may look good at 8.5 but then so did Arazi’s.

Add to that the missed Wood and this is a wishing and hoping horse. You’ve got to hope he’s fit. You’ve got to hope he beat a decent field in the Louisiana Derby, (Ketjikan and Zanjero?) You’ve got to wish he can get added distance. You’ve got to hope he’s up to the new competition he will face. It’s a pretty tall order. You should get real good odds on those variables, unless you’re prepared to place all your faith in Pletcher. Faith betting is what Bush is doing.

spa wrote:

First,is Curlin for real? Yes,but not for the derby. Second,he's going to be pounded in the pools. Third,we'll end up with all the money.

I don’t know. I’m not sure how any Derby handicapper can’t look at Curlin and think. “This horse may embarrass this bunch.” You have to be a very big believer in the no 2YO race angle to not be concerned. I think TGraph may figure this one for bounce, but in his case is that just a way to remove the favorite from consideration. It wasn't that much of a top by all number makers.

Flushedstraight wrote:

This quote by Jones after the poly race is a bit troubling:
"He seems to like Polytrack and Keeneland is almost like home," Jones said. "We definitely want one more prep."

So what happened?

Bothers me too.

NC Tony wrote:

I think this group is the slowest we've had in a few years.

Because they are slow or because they are being managed for a potentially career best effort? I think theres a couple of exceptional horses in this Derby.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2007 07:26PM by Chuckles_the_Clown2.

Subject Written By Posted
Circular Quay, Derby Madness & Negative Numbers (1463 Views) Chuckles_the_Clown2 04/23/2007 07:26PM
Re: Circular Quay, Derby Madness & Negative Numbers (589 Views) NoCarolinaTony 04/24/2007 01:03AM
Re: Curlin, Derby Madness & Negative Numbers (613 Views) Silver Charm 04/24/2007 09:51AM
Curlin Silver (610 Views) Chuckles_the_Clown2 04/24/2007 08:19PM
Re: Curlin- We get Silver, They get Gold (515 Views) Silver Charm 04/25/2007 08:15AM
Re: Curlin Silver (523 Views) miff 04/25/2007 09:29AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.