Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 2 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Match Race (798 Views)
Posted by: David Patent (IP Logged)
Date: August 19, 2002 11:10PM

What possibly could Black Ruby have to prove, having handed Taz his proverbial 'ass' virtually every time they have raced over the past couple of years? After all, HP has conquered me once and for all by virtue of two hair-splitting handicapping contest victories. With her consistent thrashings of Taz, Black Ruby should be able to rest on her laurels.

Mall, your post reminds me to sing the praises of fair racing. I grew up on the stuff when I was just old enough to bet, the fair being the only game in town where I come from. I have to say, that despite all the jokes and shortcomings, the overall experience compares favorably to what many 'tier one' tracks have to offer. To wit:

You can buy a 32 oz. soda for $1.50.

They have more deep fried but dirt cheap foods than you can shake a corn dog at.

Despite the fact that half the jockes weigh in at 127 to 130 lbs. (thus causing 80% of the horses to carry overweight) can barely drive a tractor mower, much less a horse and are racing for $1,900 to $2,500 purse money, these guys give it their all every time. One rider dislocated his pelvis, went to the hospital, had it popped back in and made it back for the last two races.

With a 1/2 mile bullring, you are always close to the action. I caught a few dirt clods right in the eye.

The payoffs, though wildly unpredictable (the tri pools run around $4,000 in each race), and limited because the starting gate holds only 8 horses, are very generous if you can catch a tri with a horse on top who was not in the first three betting choices; most bettors are betting straight 1-2-3 tris and don't know a tri wheel from a wagon wheel.

You are actually required to do some actual handicapping because: 1) there are no Sheets available and 2) the horses come from a number of 'circuits' -- usually the various county fairs in Montana, Idaho, Washington, and Northwest Canada. Occasionally you'll get a ringer from No. Cal but just try comparing the competition in Lethbridge with Boise with the State Fair in Great Falls.

There was actually no mule racing this year. All Q-horse (300 yards) and T-bred (5 furlongs to 1 1/16 miles). Up to 12 races a day.

Subject Written By Posted
The Windy City. (1458 Views) Mall 08/19/2002 09:36PM
Match Race (798 Views) David Patent 08/19/2002 11:10PM
Re: Match Race (673 Views) Mall 08/20/2002 12:24AM
Re: The Windy City. (843 Views) JimP 08/20/2002 12:16PM
Re: The Windy City. (708 Views) Mall 08/20/2002 08:02PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.