Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2024 Kentucky Oaks/Derby Days Final Figures Churchill Downs May 3 & May 4, 2024 
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Re: Careful What You Wish For (407 Views)
Posted by: stillinger (IP Logged)
Date: September 25, 2007 04:05PM

fkach Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think performance standards matter in our
> perceptions.

I know this is true of me to a very advanced degree.

I am not a breeder, so I don't have that concern or perspective - one that I would think should be very concerned about lines that the "world" will buy. I am not a trainer, so I don't have the concerns about clients, legs, cost of labor etc.,and I don't own horses and never have except for small pieces of cheap horses, just for fun a long time ago. I am a horseplayer, and the hook in me for decades has always been at least in significant degree, the match between my nervous system, and my sense of aesthetics, and the pop culture line of a "need for speed".

On the other hand, I enjoyed living in Europe for a couple of years, during Nijinsky's day, and saw Mill Reef break his maiden one day at Saint Cloud, for Raymond Guest if memory serves, and that's a crap shoot. The tempo, the pastoral elegance, the acres of green, etc., as well as the "cafe" style of living was awesome and another dimension to me. I lived in Lausanne and Paris for about a year each during my twenties.

When I was in Europe I insisted after enough wine, or even enough kirsch in enough fondue, on imitating Marshall Cassidy's calls. Upon return to the states, I bought a Harley and rode it 100,000 miles while normal people were working. So, I understand both fast and slow, Rock and Roll, Jazz, and Classical music.

Theatrical, Manila, but Groovy, Safely Kept, Ghostzapper, Graustark, Devil's Bag, and the one that ran 1/5th slower in his Champagne and did not break down, Seattle Slew. I loved them all. Grace, Speed. Both Beautiful.

The Bluegrass and the Pacific Classic were not appealing to my sense of No. American sport, or my inherited cultural bias. If I owned a claiming horse, I would want one like Spooky Mulder, and if I bred horses I would be trying to get one like Ghostzapper, or War Emblem, and I would think I am not alone on that, just as I would admit that seems somehow out of sync with the rest of the world, so I will have to adjust.

I would probably have a renewed sense of "style", had I bet Dominican, OR Student Council. But as Bob Seger said, Rock and Roll will never forget, and Poly track ain't like rock and roll. When Ghostzapper moved on the turn in the Tom Fool, I tried to describe it to friends that don't play, and of course couldn't although I thought it was somehow like "Primetime" in his Prime; when you got $8.00 to see him LEAD on a track that had water in it, I was thrilled, and the MET confirmed to my parochial mind; this is a cool horse that will get money in the shed.

Polytrack is a let down. How's that for science? Or business, or the breed? It's just not cool. Speed was cool, and speed that was rateable and reusable, that carried, was AWESOME. Seattle Slew was very cool.

Subject Written By Posted
Careful What You Wish For (875 Views) Silver Charm 09/24/2007 08:44AM
Re: Careful What You Wish For (529 Views) imallin 09/24/2007 09:15AM
Re: Careful What You Wish For (552 Views) stillinger 09/24/2007 03:08PM
Re: Careful What You Wish For (623 Views) TGJB 09/24/2007 03:24PM
Re: Careful What You Wish For (457 Views) RICH 09/25/2007 05:25AM
Re: Careful What You Wish For (490 Views) Rick B. 09/24/2007 09:25AM
Re: Careful What You Wish For (495 Views) Silver Charm 09/24/2007 12:05PM
Re: Careful What You Wish For (477 Views) Perfect Drift 09/24/2007 10:30PM
Re: Careful What You Wish For (414 Views) Silver Charm 09/25/2007 07:57AM
Re: Careful What You Wish For (431 Views) Street Sense 09/25/2007 08:55AM
Re: Careful What You Wish For (444 Views) fkach 09/25/2007 09:59AM
Re: Careful What You Wish For (407 Views) stillinger 09/25/2007 04:05PM
Re: Careful What You Wish For (422 Views) richiebee 09/25/2007 05:29PM
Re: Careful What You Wish For (422 Views) Bally Ache 09/25/2007 08:09PM
Re: Careful What You Wish For (424 Views) stillinger 09/25/2007 09:34PM
Re: Careful What You Wish For (379 Views) girly 09/26/2007 08:42AM
Surface at Oak Tree (449 Views) stillinger 09/26/2007 05:20PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.