Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2024 Kentucky Oaks/Derby Days Final Figures Churchill Downs May 3 & May 4, 2024 
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Aidan "Oscar" O'Brien (741 Views)
Posted by: richiebee (IP Logged)
Date: October 15, 2007 06:28AM

Looking at Keeneland's entries for Wednesday, I present for your consideration Charismatic Cat in race 8. Now trained by Steve Asmussen, Charismatic Cat raced in Ireland for Aidan O'Brien as a 3YO in 2005.

According to TG, CC raced 3 times as a 3YO in May of 2005. According to DRF, CC then raced on June 9th, June 17th, June 22nd, June 25th, July 17th and July 28th. For his 4 June races, CC showed 2 wins, a second and a third. After winning on June 17 and June 22, CC came back on June 25th and was second, beaten 1/2 length in a 24 horse field. Brings back memories of Teriyaki Steak, an Oscar Barerra trainee who ran 5 times in 30 days, winning, I recall, 4 of those races.

Speaking of O'Brien, his Dylan Thomas will attempt to become the first horse to win the Arc and the BC Turf Classic. Reading excellent articles by Alan Shuback (DRF) and Alan Mann (NTRA website), one learns that DT, who has won 3 of 4 lifetime tries at 1-1/2 miles,would not be disadvantaged by a firm turf. Shuback does question DT's efficacy on the sharp turn/ short straight Monmouth course (and don't forget the banked turns).

Given the fact that course configuration will be one of the biggest uncertainties regarding DT's chances in the BC Turf, I was mildly surprised that O'Brien named Jon Murtagh to replace the suspended Kieren Fallon. I would think that DT's chances might be enhanced with an American rider who might be more comfortable negotiating a 3 turn 1-1/2 mile course.

Keeneland Comment: Excellent racing this fall. Of course the stakes program is top notch, but the overnight races have large fields and are run at a good variety of distances. The turf course is not being overused. In my opinion, the best quality racing to have been presented thus far this year.

Subject Written By Posted
Aidan "Oscar" O'Brien (741 Views) richiebee 10/15/2007 06:28AM
Re: Aidan "Oscar" O'Brien (491 Views) P.Eckhart 10/15/2007 09:59AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.