Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 1 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Race Spacing before derby - Spiral aftermath (1782 Views)
Posted by: Treadhead (IP Logged)
Date: March 25, 2002 12:48PM

Wow, what a great race the Spiral was, I am mad as hell at myself for not making the journey down there to see it. RequestFP really impressed me, what a gutty horse, but Jerry already said it best, he is not the right type for the derby. He has had a tough campaign already, I don't see anyway he can carry it all the way thru to CD. He could run well in the Bluegrass if they choose that, because Keenland is also an extreme speed favoring surface.

Perfect Drift was impressive, the only off the pace winner on the entire card, raced against an enourmous speed bias. Reminded me of Alannan winning at Keenland last spring against a huge bias and then he came back to run huge on the derby undercard at a big price. The biggest problem here is the spacing for PD, sounds like the connections want to run him again before the derby. This will by mean by Derby time a stretch of 4-5 races with only 3 weeks rest in between. This could be a problem, but we will have to wait and see how stressful the last prep is.

Azillion was also impressive and appears to have more potential, I don't count him out yet either, but there are the same questions with race spacing coming in. My favorite spacing line is being taken by those horses who are racing on April 6, a nice month to train up to the derby. Horses I rank as contenders racing that day are Repent, USSTinosa, and TB Derby winner Equalize. Saarland races the next week, but should be OK for the derby off 3 weeks given that he will not have had a taxing spring. Not a whole lot else I can see coming out of the April 13 races, there will lots of pretenders I'm sure, but not horses that will be ready for their best effort come May 4.

I keep hearing in the press about no horse winning the derby off 6 weeks rest in 50 years or something. Is this really a big problem, is it that tough to keep a horse fit? I would much rather see Perfect Drift and Azillion train up to the derby, but that's not likely to happen given the lures of large purses in these derby preps. Time will tell....

Subject Written By Posted
Race Spacing before derby - Spiral aftermath (1782 Views) Treadhead 03/25/2002 12:48PM
Re: Race Spacing before derby - Spiral aftermath (1181 Views) TGJB 03/25/2002 02:44PM
Re: Beulah Twins (2726 Views) Treadhead 03/25/2002 03:51PM
Re: Now I'm Really Mad. (1265 Views) Mall 03/25/2002 05:34PM
Re: Race Spacing before derby - Spiral aftermath (1194 Views) fastspeed 03/25/2002 08:39PM
Re: You Think You're Mad. (1182 Views) Mall 03/25/2002 03:19PM
Spacing Before the Derby - A look at some Data (1411 Views) derby1592 03/26/2002 02:21AM
Correction on Aks Derby winners (1252 Views) derby1592 03/26/2002 02:26AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.