Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 1 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Re: Update. Previous Fixes./innocent? (878 Views)
Posted by: Mall (IP Logged)
Date: November 07, 2002 01:05PM

Now that I've had an opportunity to look into the matter, I've gotten over it and would not be surprised to learn that not only were these jerks, as you so aptly put it, using outdated technology, but that they also invested little or nothing in the kind of internal controls which should have been in place to detect a fraud of this nature. In the 10/31 conf call Weil said that the "system worked", which apparently means that if someone from the NYRA contacts the BC/NTRA, and the BC/NTRA demand an investigation and that payment be held up, then the president of Autotote will go on record as saying the bet is legit and should be paid until reporters and industry reps force them to actually do the kind of investigation which led to Harn's dismissal. That dismissal, I am convinced, was for the reason 1st reported, failure to cooperate in Autotote's internal investigation, and not because Autotote had paper or computer evidence that Harn was the culprit. My belief is not just based on the fact that Autotote had 18 other programmers, or the reports that the security logs are missing, but also on the timing and nature of the dry run fixes described by Mr Drape in his article today. Weil also went on record in the 10/31 call that even if no one had said anything about the BC fix, Autotote's security would have eventually uncovered what happened, and pinpointed the culprit. At the time, what I wanted to know was the time period covered by "eventually." Now we know that more than 3 weeks passed between the 1st dry run fix and the BC fix, and that eventually must mean at least a month. Given Autotote's handling of this matter, isn't it equally plausible that there was no system to speak of in place, and that Weil's statement was as much as anything an effort to prevent a drop in the share price? Perhaps that's a question that Autotote's new PR firm would like to answer, assuming they can pull themselves away from their efforts to spin this as a "human tragedy" and a case where the racing industry didn't pay enough to expect security. The only way my confidence is going to be restored is if Weil and Autotote are no longer involved, and I suspect that I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Subject Written By Posted
I Was MisQuoted. (1621 Views) Mall 11/05/2002 06:35PM
Update. Previous Fixes. (792 Views) Mall 11/05/2002 06:55PM
Re: Update. Previous Fixes./innocent? (856 Views) Daniel Paul 11/06/2002 02:31AM
Re: Update. Previous Fixes./innocent? (745 Views) Mall 11/06/2002 03:16AM
Re: Update. Previous Fixes./innocent? (718 Views) jim davis 11/07/2002 01:46AM
Re: Update. Previous Fixes./innocent? (878 Views) Mall 11/07/2002 01:05PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.