Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 1 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Will the sunshine get the old bear to come out of hibernation for the ROTW? (1180 Views)
Posted by: derby1592 (IP Logged)
Date: January 24, 2003 11:56PM

Looks like an interesting race.

First the areas in the ROTW that I agree.

The Judge Sez Who is a top contender. He has a nice line but is really over raced with 10 starts from June-Dec. That is a lot of starts even for a claimer. He has been getting more time between races lately and the pace and post are to his advantage.

Best of the Rest is fast and consistent but is also coming in off a negative fig and will likely lose ground as was pointed out in the ROTW. Definitely the horse to beat but he could run something close to an effective 2-3 in this race, which makes him vulnerable.

Saint Marden is fast and the one most likely to run a new top even off the bench but the post and pace will hurt him. I expect a torrid pace and he is likely to be very fresh and eager off the layoff. He could get sucked up in quick fractions or fight the rider. He also could lose ground early. A contender but some question marks.

Continental Red is consistent but his top is slow for this race and he will get over bet.

Booklet is likely to get cooked and is probably a few months away from another good effort.

Now for the areas where I disagree:

Nothing Flat's line looks weak to me. He is fast but his last 2 are pretty dull. Maybe it was the north-south ship in the last one but I want to see another race before I play him. I have a hard time believing a Zito horse will go off at 20/1 anyway.

Sir Bear is an old geezer but he loves GP and looks to be coming around to a good race. His last was not an effort but it was his best since July. In each of the last 2 years, he has come out and run big races in his first start at GP. He also gets reunited with Prado who was on board for his last big win. He draws an inside post and should be able to save ground and the likely hot pace will be to his benefit. If he has another 1-2 range fig left in him (and I think he might), he could score a big upset for the senior citizen crowd.

Looks like good cards at both GP and SA.

Good luck to everyone.

Chris

Subject Written By Posted
Will the sunshine get the old bear to come out of hibernation for the ROTW? (1180 Views) derby1592 01/24/2003 11:56PM
Re: Will the sunshine get the old bear to come out of hibernation for the ROTW? (737 Views) Scott V 01/25/2003 02:05AM
Re: Will the sunshine get the old bear to come out of hibernation for the ROTW? (728 Views) derby1592 01/25/2003 03:28AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.