Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 1 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Re: Friedman/Trainer Stats (817 Views)
Posted by: TGJB (IP Logged)
Date: January 27, 2003 09:46PM

Okay, Friedman came back with a response, which judging from the time it took to post (and since he didn't respond to 90% of what I said) he probably wrote before I even posted mine. On the specifics of second off a layoff, as used in our profiles it means a race within 30 days of a race after a layoff of 90 days or more, and does not include second out lifetime. And, of course, he is using those large averaging methods again.

Which brings up an interesting point. The point that Friedman makes about each category really being a group of categories within it which have both similarities and differences is correct. Which is why, as we have said before, it is important to know how to use the profiles properly-- to place them in context. We do it that way for a variety of reasons-- space limitations, sample size, etc.. Ultimately they are meant to be used as guides, not hard figures.

But here's the interesting part. Ragozin does the same thing (mix unrelated data and average it) to create his figures, and they are sold as "objective" truth, not as guides that should be placed in context. For those who are new here, I went into this in detail in several earlier posts that can be found in our archives-- notably "Now that I have your attention", 11/14/01, but also "Changing Track Speeds", 11/17/01, "Split variants, Bruno's take", 1/03/02, and "Figure Methodology II", 6/10/02.

Most interesting of all is Friedman's change of tactics, presumably as a result of their finally starting to sell on-line. If he really does come out to play on a regular basis rather than hide and censor I think you guys are going to be kept entertained for a while, even if it does end up taking another 2 hours a day out of my life.

Jes' don't throw me in the briar patch.

Meanwhile, I know for a fact that there are guys out there who know a whole lot more than me or Friedman about trainer patterns (Chris, Jon), as well as dwarves and assorted others who may as well. Comments?

TGJB

Subject Written By Posted
Friedman/Trainer Stats (1429 Views) TGJB 01/27/2003 07:58PM
Re: Friedman/Trainer Stats (817 Views) TGJB 01/27/2003 09:46PM
Trainer stats (770 Views) Michael D. 01/27/2003 11:57PM
Re: Trainer stats (767 Views) OPM 01/28/2003 01:02AM
Re: Trainer stats (775 Views) mandown 01/28/2003 01:00PM
Re: Trainer stats (831 Views) HP 01/28/2003 02:01PM
Re: Trainer stats (757 Views) TGJB 01/28/2003 04:55PM
Re: Trainer stats (758 Views) HP 01/28/2003 05:29PM
Re: Trainer stats (792 Views) TGJB 01/28/2003 04:52PM
Re: Trainer stats (739 Views) Michael D. 01/28/2003 12:12PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.