Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  The Modesty Stakes Churchill May 3, 2024  • 2 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Re: Atswhatimtalknbout (707 Views)
Posted by: Michael D. (IP Logged)
Date: March 18, 2003 01:55PM

I guess Ats and EM have become the clear favorites, and it is tough to argue against either. Here is how I see the field at this stage.

1. Aristocat - long striding colt is bred to run for miles on the dam side. made a nice run in the TB derby, but just looks a bit too slow.
2. Ats - was very green in the SF Stakes. once Flores got the horse to change leads, he exploded. the colt will run ten furlongs and longer, and is as fast as any of them. never smart to toss a Frankel horse, but at this stage, Ats looks like a potential superstar, and is the most likely winner of this year's Derby.
3. Badge of Silver - fast, fast, fast.... just too many question marks though. the trainer is a former quarter horse man, and I just get the feeling that the huge #'s came because the horse was so wound up. these performances take enormous tolls on horses, especially ones with screws in their legs. I would imagine we see another huge figure out of this one before he is finished, but I don't think it will be on the first Saturday in May.
4. Champali - Glitterman..... could be tough at Turfway, the derby is a huge reach though.
5. Composure - with DD and Kaf looking a bit shakey at this point, I guess the odds of this filly running in the Derby have gone up. she looks a bit slow to me, and will most likely lose Bailey if she runs, but a top five finish would not surprise me a bit.
6. Domestic Dispute - a bit of a tough trip in the SF Stakes, but the lack of a strong kick is a major concern. I would need to see a much stronger finish in the SA Derby in order to have any faith in this one.
7. Empire Maker - nothing wrong here... just a matter of odds. I like ATS better, but EM is a great colt.
8. Funny Cide - great NY bred. a brilliant ten furlongs seems unlikely however.
9. Great Notion - brilliant speed. respect if no other speed runs in the derby, which is unlikely.
10. Inamorato - no
12. Kafwain - I expect a big effort in the SA Derby, as the horse ran against a huge bias in the La Derby. I don't think the colt can beat Ats, however, and I would expect him to be struggling in the last 200 yards of the Derby.
11. Indy Dancer - has not run a fast race yet, which is an obvious concern. I have not given up on this colt yet though. blinkers should help, and I expect better things in the future.
13. Lion Tamer - dangerous this Saturday, but might not like ten furlongs at CD. If not for the Pletcher/JR connections, I would toss this one, but these guys have accomplished brilliant things with speed type horses.
14. Man Among Men - not sure what too think of this one. I think he is capable of winning grade 1 races, but I guess he has a better chance of doing it going long on turf. not out of the question, but needs to run much better in the SA derby.
15. Ministers Wild Cat - I have liked this colt from day one. he has incredible natural speed, and is bred on both sides to run ten furlongs. I have been a bit concerned with his late pace #'s however, so I am not sure how he will handle the ten furlongs. still, based on potential alone, I must consider him a contender.
16. Ocean Terrace - dangerous speed. not a bad stab at 40-1.
17. Offlee Wild - excellent horse. I don't think his best effort will come at ten furlongs though.
18. Peace Rules - never toss a Frankel horse. I say this to myself every time I bet, but often wind up breaking the rule. he will be very dangerous at Keeneland, but a strong ten furlongs at CD is a different story. a very reluctant toss for this bettor.
19. Region of Merit - tough trip in the TB Derby, but still managed to win. a very nice horse, but still may be outclassed by the top few.
20. Senor Swinger - as good as Ten Cents A Shine.
21. Supah Blitz - nice one run middle distance horse. a nice rest and a trip back to Calder would be best for this guy.
22. Ten Cents A Shine - slow
23. Trust N Luck - I had him out of my top 15 to start, and I still do not think he has much of a chance to win the derby. needs a WE type day (speedball track and a loose lead) in order to have a chance.
24. Field - 7-2 is fair I guess. If Hold That Tiger runs he could be one of the favorites. you also get Van Nistelrooy, Buddy Gill, Brancusi, Midas Eyes, During, and Dynever. major question marks for all of these colts obviously, but if three or four of them run, I don't think 7-2 is a bad price. remember, you will also get another five horses or so.

Looking at the board, I have to say Ats, at 8-1, looks like the best bet to me (yes, even after I passed up on 29-1).

Subject Written By Posted
Atswhatimtalknbout (1155 Views) Michael D. 02/20/2003 07:35PM
Re: Atswhatimtalknbout (725 Views) OPM 02/21/2003 12:18AM
Re: Atswhatimtalknbout (699 Views) Michael D. 02/21/2003 01:59PM
Re: Atswhatimtalknbout (664 Views) OPM 02/21/2003 02:53PM
Re: Atswhatimtalknbout (711 Views) Michael D. 02/21/2003 03:13PM
Re: Atswhatimtalknbout (698 Views) OPM 02/21/2003 07:52PM
Re: Atswhatimtalknbout (707 Views) Michael D. 03/18/2003 01:55PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.