Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Frankel cries about Big Cap weights (1198 Views)
Posted by: P-Dub (IP Logged)
Date: February 25, 2003 06:17AM

Is anyone else out there tired of hearing trainers cry about weight assignments?? According to DRF.com....
Frankel said he was upset that Medaglia d'Oro was given the same 124-pound weight assignment as Congaree, and that he may skip the richest race of the Santa Anita meeting.

"It's a long year," he said. "He's been given 124 pounds. Where does he go from there? I'll have to think about it."

Its one thing for Headley to wonder about the weights for his 9yr old Kona Gold, but a healthy top class 4yo?? How many times did Forego,Spectacular Bid, etc.. carry more weight than this? Hey Frankel, thats why its called a handicap. I don't hear Baffert crying about the weights. MDO has never raced in anything but a weight for age race. Time to step up like the great horses of the past and "pack" the weight (as if 124 is "packing weight"). Is it any wonder racing lacks interest other than a few days a year? It seems every trainer is looking for easy races, ducking serious competition, campaigning for ridiculous weight assignments by threatning not to run, etc... Here we have a chance to see perhaps the top 2 horses in training settle things on the race track. Isn't that the essence of competition? Do golfers not play in the Masters because Tiger is there?

I know all of the lame arguments for Frankel... what will he carry next time, he has other options,he doesn't owe anything to the fans, blah blah blah. I didn't make my first wager on a race until 15 yrs after I first started watching this great sport. I am a fan, I love watching great athletes perform against the best competition available. Unfortunately, Frankel doesn't feel the same way.
Oh well, maybe Santa Anita can card a NW3x other than that will fit MDOs conditions. Who knows, maybe a walkover will get Bobby's "star" out of the barn. And you wonder why racing can't attract any new fans.

P-Dub

Subject Written By Posted
Frankel cries about Big Cap weights (1198 Views) P-Dub 02/25/2003 06:17AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.