Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  The Modesty Stakes Churchill May 3, 2024  • 2 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Wild Cat Redemption in the SA Derby? (1337 Views)
Posted by: derby1592 (IP Logged)
Date: April 03, 2003 07:58PM

Last Saturday, the Wild Cats (from Kentucky and Arizona) both went into their NCAA Title prep as the favorite and both came out as a loser.

This Saturday another Wild Cat goes into a big prep (this one of the Derby variety) but he goes in as a longshot rather than a favorite. Is there a chance that this Wild Cat might pull off an upset?

Minister's Wild Cat is a very interesting horse. He is slow coming into the SA Derby but he also has an explosive looking line. But how explosive? Explosive enough to warrant a bet at 10/1 (his morning line)?

Just looking at his line in isolation you would say he could easily make a jump but it is hard to predict when. He has yet to make a forward move but he has also never went back and it has only been 3 races since his first start. Given his trainer (Drysdale), you also have to figure that he is probably healthy and developing or he would not be entered in the SA Derby.

So you have a healthy young 3yo with a solid line that has yet to make a forward move and has had more than 3 months to develop since his first start. You figure that there is a good chance that he is going to explode sooner or later but will it be on Saturday? That is the million dollar question (perhaps literally given the guaranteed pick six at SA on Saturday).

To help answer that question, I decided to look for a few more relevant data points. I thought why not look at similar recent Drysdale horses that has gone down the Derby trail. I found three of them and, sure enough, I found a very obvious and potent pattern. Sometimes you don't need a lot of data points to draw a powerful conclusion and this looks like one of those times.

I found three recent examples of horses that fit the profile of a young, well-bred, highly-regarded 3yo Drysdale-trained horse that was running in it's final Derby prep in early April.

-Sunday Break (2002) entered in the Wood
-War Chant (2000) entered in the SA Derby
-Fusaichi Pegasus (2000) entered in the Wood

The similarity does not end there. The three horses also had remarkably similar lines. They had all started their careers with a sprint in December followed by a very flat line in their 3yo preps prior to April with a TG top of between 5 and 7.

In other words, their lines heading into their final Derby preps looked nearly identical to MWC's.

Now I bet you would like to know how those three ran in those final Derby preps and I also bet that you are guessing that they must have run pretty well. If so, you would be guessing right.

- Sunday Break jumped 4.25 pts to a 1.5
- Fusaichi Pegasus jumped 2.5 pts to a 2.25
- War Chant jumped 3 pts to a 4

Wow! Given all this, I would say that a 3-4 pt jump by Ministers Wild Cat on Saturday is definitely not that much of a stretch and such a jump would likely put him in the winner's circle at a very juicy price.

Also note the added plus factors of a switch to blinkers (hopefully he borrowed them from Bobby Frankel), the good post position (should be able to save ground), the tactical speed (should be able to get a good stalking position), the fast recent work (unusual for Drysdale) and the wide trip from a tough post in his last (should help the price) and MWC just may be the key to making this race very profitable.

Something to think about.

Good luck to all.

Chris

"Often wrong, never in doubt."

Subject Written By Posted
Wild Cat Redemption in the SA Derby? (1337 Views) derby1592 04/03/2003 07:58PM
Re: Wild Cat Redemption in the SA Derby? (655 Views) sheba87 04/03/2003 08:45PM
Re: Wild Cat Redemption in the SA Derby? (684 Views) Michael D. 04/03/2003 09:25PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.