Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 1 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Walter's World (924 Views)
Posted by: Anonymous User (IP Logged)
Date: May 10, 2003 11:22PM

The “pic” ran first in the Miami Herald. I suppose that’s why the paper contacted Florida State Racing Steward Walter Blum to obtain his opinion. Walter Blum was misnamed he should have been named “Walter Dumb”. First the quote:

Walter Blum, a former jockey who rode in the Derby and the state steward for South Florida's two thoroughbred tracks, said the photo warrants further review.

''Until they say what it is, I'd hate to say what it could be,'' said Blum, who was shown the photo by The Herald on Friday. ``But it is suspicious looking. It looks highly unusual. I've been wondering ever since I saw it . . . what it could be. I don't know what else it could be.'' Unquote: Really Walter? You don’t know what else it could possibly be?

Walter Dumb should not be serving in a review capacity. He lacks good cognitive skills. I was a victim of his confusion. In 1989 I made the biggest bet I had made to that point in my life. It was a straight perfecta Glitterman over Big Stanley. It was a seven furlong race and Calder was playing somewhat to front runners that day. Glitterman was the lone speed and was four years old to Stanley’s three is my recollection. Glitterman was a pure Sprinter and Stanley probably akin to Supah Blitz, a horse that could go a distance in lesser company. Glitterman took the lead and in the stretch gave Stanley the rail. The hole was there but Stanley couldn’t or wouldn’t go through. There was no contact and no checking on Stanley’s part. He just wouldn’t go through against the rail. Walter Dumb disqualified Glitterman to second and disbelieving fans broke up track property near the paddock shelter. Walter said and I quote: “Glitterman was disqualified for intimidating the hell out of Big Stanley.” I’ve never heard anything remotely similar used to disqualify a horse before or since.

CtC

Post Edited (05-10-03 23:25)

Subject Written By Posted
Walter's World (924 Views) Anonymous User 05/10/2003 11:22PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.