Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
New Trainer Stats - "Pleasantly Perfect" (897 Views)
Posted by: derby1592 (IP Logged)
Date: October 29, 2003 12:17PM

I really liked the sneak preview of new "figure-based" trainer stats for the BC races. I think such stats are far more useful to sheet players than traditional ROI and win% stats.

A good example of this is the "2nd race off layoff" stats for Richard Mandella. The stats showed that "King Richard" is off the charts in this category and that 40% of such horses run a new top for him (twice his overall average). Pleasantly Perfect was a couple points slower than the top contenders in the Classic but this trainer stat indicated that if he was ever going to run another top (which would put him right in the mix to win), now was probably the time and his overall sheet (solid, late developing with some apparent room left for further development) seemed to indicate that he could indeed have another forward move in him.

That is the sort of "novel" information that can improve decision making and provide a real edge to sheet players.

A couple of other interesting stats from the day:

David Hoffmans (Trainer of Adoration) had 61% of his horses run new tops in the last 90 days (note: based on small sample of 13).

Bobby Frankel only had 5% of his horses "X" (i.e., more than 4 pts worse than top) in the last 90 days (compared to the overall average for Stakes horses of 30%). I think that % just went up, which just goes to show that there will always be a few factors that we may never be able to accurately quantify or predict.

Cheers.

Chris

Subject Written By Posted
New Trainer Stats - "Pleasantly Perfect" (897 Views) derby1592 10/29/2003 12:17PM
Re: New Trainer Stats - "Pleasantly Perfect" (509 Views) HP 10/29/2003 02:16PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.