Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 1 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Re: racing circuits (664 Views)
Posted by: TGJB (IP Logged)
Date: November 03, 2003 01:37PM

We have a standard speed chart, but we have corrections for some distances at certain tracks-- at Pimlico, for example, the 6f run-up is about 5 feet (literally), so the 6f times come up slow versus not only the routes but the 5 and 5 1/2 races. This is an issue to lesser degrees in general-- the longest sprint distance at a track is usually run from a chute limiting how far the gate can be backed up (also true for 1 1/16 inner turf races at Bel depending on the rails) and the slower the horses are moving when they break the beam, the slower the final time. There is also a question of differences in track maintenance-- NYRA superintendent Jerry Porcelli told me they can't (or don't) get the same equipment into the chute as works on the main track. Some tracks also change run-up distances frequently-- Laurel used to on random days run the 7f races with a MUCH shorter run-up than the 6f ones, which would definitely screw up anyone doing those races together (averaging the variants, creating bad figures for both).

I have not noticed the phenomenom you mention, but that doesn't mean it isn't happening. I make adjustments to individual races because I don't assume absolute accuracy of the information I am getting (the time can be a little off, the wind can gust or be blowing at such an angle as to bounce off the grandstand causing currents no one can see), so I rely very heavily on the past figure histories of the horses and make small corrections even if the variant is effectively the same. It is entirely possible that on slower tracks I am making more corrections in the direction you say and not noticing it because the difference would be small-- an eighth of a mile being only about 13 seconds, a fifth of a second would be a significant percentage of that, but only about a point.

I would also point out that wind might be playing a part if you are making figures that don't take wind into account. At most tracks, if a sprint is run into the wind on the backstretch the horses will travel farther into the wind than against it (6f at Bel is the exception) and the final time will be slower, making the track appear slower. Since any additional distance around one turn will also be run into the wind with no offset in the other direction you would have to adjust the figure even more to correct for it.

If what you are suggesting is correct, we might be able to run a study to find out. It would also presumably mean sprints and routes split more when the track is slower. We have a lot of stuff going on now (new products and some other stuff), but if you remind me in mid-December I'll see if we can take a look at this.

TGJB

Subject Written By Posted
racing circuits (1143 Views) cozzene 10/31/2003 05:32PM
Re: racing circuits (581 Views) Michael D. 10/31/2003 06:10PM
Re: racing circuits (669 Views) TGJB 10/31/2003 06:23PM
Re: racing circuits (580 Views) 10/31/2003 06:31PM
Re: racing circuits (724 Views) TGJB 11/01/2003 01:59PM
Re: racing circuits (597 Views) Silver Charm 11/03/2003 09:04AM
Re: racing circuits (581 Views) 11/03/2003 10:05AM
Re: racing circuits (633 Views) P.Eckhart 11/03/2003 11:01AM
Re: racing circuits (664 Views) TGJB 11/03/2003 01:37PM
Re: racing circuits (561 Views) 11/03/2003 01:56PM
Re: racing circuits (548 Views) TGJB 11/03/2003 02:35PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.