Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 1 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Re: caught in the rain (575 Views)
Posted by: TGJB (IP Logged)
Date: November 09, 2003 01:22PM

Haven't done the figures for the race yet, so these are general comments.

Jockeys say stuff like that all the time. On rare occasions it might even be true. But having dealt with trainers (and jockeys second hand) for many years, I know better than to just accept a statement like that at face value. When we look for dead rails (and we do for dirt races) we look for data to back it up, not anecdotal evidence.

We have some trackmen who are very sophisticated handicappers (most notably in Chicago), and flag horses on days they believe there is a dead rail-- but then I look at them when I do the day to see how their figures are stacking up with their previous figures. We also have a program in the computer that flags horses that ran on the rail (in this case on turns only, because that is what the computer gets, for ground loss) on days that at least 2/3 of the horses that ran on the rail finish in the bottom halfs of their fields-- and again, I then go and look at the figures those horses ran relative to their histories, and decide whether to give out "x's". In fact, I just did a dead rail day yesterday at Churchill (second turn only), first one I can remember there, but I might be wrong about that.

I have never heard of a dead rail on turf before, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen, and I'll take a look at this day when I do it. When I worked with Michael Dickinson he was a nut about this kind of stuff, and on occasion walked the course before Da Hoss ran (and in at least one instance had his girlfriend Joan walk the course in high heels). When I was at Ascot this Spring an amazing sight was a 30 horse field split into 15 horse groups along each rail going down the straightaways-- the jocks feel the going is better along the fence. No idea if they are right, but certainly agree that conditions can affect one part of a track differently than others-- 1 and 2 turn split variants being an example.

There are a lot of practical problems with the idea of making different variants for different paths. First, horses seldom stay in one path all the way around, which by itself would make any relative speeds hard to quantify. Second, the number of horses running in any path is relatively small, decreasing the sample size you would be using to make a path variant, and the track often changes speed during the day, which could in theory affect different paths differently. Third, in dealing with dead rails I have never found that anything resembling a common correction exists-- horses just quit, don't fire, etc.

The good news is, if there is a difference in speeds for the different paths other than the dead rails, it is relatively minor. The tightness of the data base itself indicates that-- the number of horses who pair up, run in a tight range, etc.

TGJB

Subject Written By Posted
caught in the rain (907 Views) pete 11/09/2003 09:48AM
Re: caught in the rain (575 Views) TGJB 11/09/2003 01:22PM
Re: caught in the rain (623 Views) jbelfior 11/10/2003 10:42AM
Re: caught in the rain (504 Views) Campbreeze 11/10/2003 11:38AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.