Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 1 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Re: Fear And Disorientation In Las Vegas (555 Views)
Posted by: fager22 (IP Logged)
Date: March 04, 2004 04:35PM

I was at the conference and listened attentively to Jerry’s presentation. I am one of the scientists (the biochemist) that Jerry referred to in his post. I have the following observations on his presentation:

1) Having presented at many scientific conferences and at the FDA, I know very well the stress levels that public speakers incur. Having said that, I did not think that Jerry appeared nervous during his presentation. On the contrary, he presented his points confidently and strongly albeit mostly on deaf ears. Many of the attendees misinterpreted confidence and strength as arrogance.

2) A lot of the presentation went over the heads of most of the group because, in my opinion, they were not listening and/or were listening but with closed minds—a terrible disease in any field of endeavor

3) The data and physical explanation by Dr. Pratt et al on how tracks can change substantively during the course of a day without a severe weather event is groundbreaking. For those who did listen, it clearly proved that splitting variants for sprints, one turn routes and/or 2 turn routes can and should be done on certain racing days. Jerry has cited several of those days on this site. Many apparently aberrant numbers can be “corrected” and made meaningful using such analysis.

4) I very much respect Andy Beyer for his contributions to handicapping and usually enjoy the humor in his presentations. I did think however that Andy was uncharacteristically speechless at times during the discussion. For example, he had no comments on the discussion of Donaldson’s 1936 book on making speed figures. Perhaps this is because he believes that he invented speed figures. Also, he had no retort to the point that both Jerry and Len made that, relative to 20 or 30 years ago, there are a lot MORE fast horses now than then. Jerry cited this as a reason why it so hard to win the triple crown in this era.

5) I had never heard Len Friedman speak before. Most (not all) of his responses were pretty much straight out of “The Odds Must Be Crazy”, i.e., (paraphrasing) “we have our secret formulas which are time tested and we do very well with them”. When pushed to elaborate on the physical rationale for certain key points such as not splitting variants or making impossible figures for 4.5f 2yo races at Keenland, his responses were exercises in tail chasing. He was very eloquent though on the fact that horses are getting faster and that he and Jerry don’t give you a horse in the 5th at Belmont, rather they give you a framework and methodology to analyze that race in a way that will provide value over the long run. Many attendees wanted simple answers (who’s going to win) or formulas or single numbers when in fact the fun and reward in this game is the complex analysis that leads to information of value which very few of your competitors (the general public and the other “experts”) have.

6) I was disappointed that Jerry did not present some of the trainer and sire info contained in Thorograph sheets. This is powerful stuff. In my limited survey, the Expo attendees were largely unaware of that information.

7) Finally, there are two ways to look at the mostly negative (my limited survey of the attendees) response to Jerry’s presentation. On the one hand, if you regularly analyze races using the Thorograph approach, you should be happy because your competitors will be using information of lesser wagering value. On the other hand, I’m sure that Jerry would have liked a more positive response to increase his client base. In any event, I hope that Jerry will be invited to speak again at the next Expo because I personally enjoyed the fact-based substantiation of his approach.

Dr.Fager 1:59

Subject Written By Posted
Fear And Disorientation In Las Vegas (1348 Views) TGJB 03/04/2004 01:10PM
Re: Fear And Disorientation In Las Vegas (565 Views) Thehoarsehorseplayer 03/04/2004 02:10PM
Re: Fear And Disorientation In Las Vegas (555 Views) fager22 03/04/2004 04:35PM
Re: Fear And Disorientation In Las Vegas (533 Views) Chuckles_the_Clown2 03/04/2004 05:26PM
What Matters. (493 Views) Mall 03/05/2004 11:17AM
Pleasantly Perfect and Master David (618 Views) Chuckles_the_Clown2 03/05/2004 05:51PM
Re: Insight , Booklet and Pleasantly Perfect (533 Views) Michael D. 03/05/2004 07:18PM
Re: Insight , Booklet and Pleasantly Perfect (574 Views) Chuckles_the_Clown2 03/05/2004 08:00PM
Re: Insight , Booklet and Pleasantly Perfect (500 Views) Michael D. 03/05/2004 08:16PM
You're dead-on Mall. (520 Views) Silver Charm 03/05/2004 10:09PM
Re: You're dead-on Mall. (493 Views) Chuckles_the_Clown2 03/05/2004 11:19PM
Re: You're dead-on Mall. (544 Views) Silver Charm 03/06/2004 12:40AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.