Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 1 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Passing Grade in the LA Derby... (838 Views)
Posted by: derby1592 (IP Logged)
Date: March 05, 2004 11:05PM

This race looks wide open with a bunch of nice 3yo lines.

Clearly, Gradepoint is a play against. Given the post and his running style and the fact that most of the field is about as fast or faster than he is, he is a great play against if he goes off at his 5/2 ML or lower. That is not to say that Gradepoint still might make some noise in the Triple Crown given his solid line, good connections and nice breeding but he is a play against this Sunday.

The trouble is that you can make a good case for most of the others so there is no obvious horse to key.

I pretty much agree with the ROTW analysis with a few quibbles.

I like Borrego a little better than the ROTW. I think that 3/4 pt regression in his last is not that significant and he looks like he could be ready for another forward move and he is very likely to get a rail trip.

I definitely like Shadowland more than the TG analysis. True, he is slow going in but he has a very explosive line. The sort of line that could lead to a big forward move this time of year. A move that may be big enough to win this race. The question is - who is Ralph Nicks? I don't follow FG racing that much and had never heard of him until last weekend.

The regulars on this board know I like Shaniko as a Derby prospect. He certainly has a good shot in here but I will be more jazzed about him as the distances start stretching out and he has a little more time to mature. I would like to see him run well in here and pick up some graded earnings but what I really want is to see him stay healthy and wait to peak on the first Saturday in May.

There are a lot of presser types in here and some horses are likely to get a wide trip and there could be a lot of traffic as they turn for home so racing luck will likely play a part in the the outcome.

It should be a good race to watch and we will be able to watch it since it is not being run at a Magna track.

On Sunday, we will see who will get the passing grades and graduate on to the next step toward a Triple Crown degree.

Good luck.

Chris

Post Edited (03-06-04 00:50)

Subject Written By Posted
Passing Grade in the LA Derby... (838 Views) derby1592 03/05/2004 11:05PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.