Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 1 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Re: Rebates OP-ED (544 Views)
Posted by: Mall (IP Logged)
Date: March 08, 2004 06:39PM

I thought the 6-1 ratio was close to the norm as well, until I learned that brisbet was paying a 10% rather than a 3% fee to Magna before the signal cut-off. The lower 3% fee is what brisbet pays for signals such as Tampa, which is why brisbet has been offering 7% rebates since the cut-off. Brisbet's handle is way up since the cut-off, & in a recent letter to customers brisbet thanked Magna for "opening its eyes."

I agree with much of what Chris has to say, but like most issues in racing, rebating is complicated. Too complicated, perhaps, to address in a single letter.

From the horseplayers' perspective, rebates are a form of much needed & long overdue price competition for their wagering dollars, & theoretically at least, it's hard to argue with the economic principle that lower prices should produce higher betting volume. And that certainly seems to be what has happened in NY since takeout rates were lowered at the end of 2000. Handle is up about $1 million per day, & bettors received an extra $92 million more than they would have under the old rates.

If on the other hand you put yourself in the shoes of an owner, what you'd see over the last couple of yrs, when rebates exploded, is an increase in handle accompanied, for the 1st time, by a decrease in purses. The situation is even worse if you eliminate the bump from slots. So it's not surprising to find many who say that rebating actually siphons money from the industry. Mayor Rudy was recently retained by the NTRA to get to the bottom of the matter.

Based on what has been reported, for non-Magna tracks, I have to agree with asfuth. For example, if someone who usually bets at NY tracks switches to XpressBet, the NY track's share of the wagering dollar goes from 20% to 3%. Magna's role seems substantively the same in this kind of situation as an offshore rebate operation like RGS.

There is also a question of whether or not all of the additional betting volume which results from rebating is something the tracks want. Some percentage is computer-generated batch wagering, which causes a lot of the late odds drops. FG,Oak,& Tampa have removed their signal from wagering outlets which allow the practice. Calif tracks allow the practice.

The shut down occured less than a week ago & I already know that someone whose residency was in question has been contacted & questioned about his betting habits. It is even more remarkable to read that Magna has complied with the TOC's request for "information." It depends of course on exactly what that means, but as a general proposition this is not the kind of thing someone who is being hounded by the IRS or going through a divorce, to take just two examples, wants to hear. I imagine this news was greeted even less enthusiastically by some of the Soprano-type characters I have met at tracks over the yrs. The idea of Drew Couto poring over someone's personal betting records is, to put it mildly, downright scary.

Subject Written By Posted
Rebates OP-ED (900 Views) TGJB 03/06/2004 02:02PM
Re: Rebates OP-ED (538 Views) OPM 03/07/2004 01:42AM
Re: Rebates OP-ED (525 Views) Frank 03/07/2004 01:55PM
Rebates OP-ED (592 Views) TGJB 03/08/2004 01:55PM
Re: Rebates OP-ED (599 Views) asfufh 03/08/2004 03:11PM
Economics 101 and the Racing Industry (588 Views) derby1592 03/08/2004 05:39PM
Re: Rebates OP-ED (544 Views) Mall 03/08/2004 06:39PM
Re: Rebates OP-ED (597 Views) OPM 03/08/2004 10:46PM
Re: Rebates OP-ED/Critical Mass (630 Views) Silver Charm 03/09/2004 07:04AM
Re: Rebates OP-ED/Critical Mass (498 Views) asfufh 03/09/2004 03:31PM
Re: Rebates OP-ED (536 Views) Mall 03/09/2004 12:03PM
Re: Rebates OP-ED (674 Views) TGJB 03/09/2004 01:17PM
Re: Rebates OP-ED (563 Views) derby1592 03/09/2004 03:12PM
Re: Rebates OP-ED (538 Views) Chuckles_the_Clown2 03/09/2004 07:44PM
Re: Rebates OP-ED (566 Views) Thehoarsehorseplayer 03/10/2004 10:29AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.