Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  The Modesty Stakes Churchill May 3, 2024  • 2 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Taxes and Reflection on a lost bet (581 Views)
Posted by: Chuckles_the_Clown2 (IP Logged)
Date: March 23, 2004 06:42AM

All politicians of all parties love "taxes", they just don't all admit to loving them.

I noticed that Aqueducts handle on Sunday exceeded Gulfstream. I wonder why? I use to refuse to bet Hialeah during its decline. Brunetti had raised the takeout to 25 and 28 percent is my recollection. A very astute handicapper friend of mine said "who cares" all that matters is the tote and the value presented. To a certain extent he was right but the smaller the return pool the more difficult it will become long term.

Reflections on a lost bet

I’ve come to learn the Turfway track was sealed on “Lane’s End” day. I wasn’t aware of that betting “puter”. I knew rain was coming, but you can’t see clouds and such on computer and I never saw the sealing equipment rolled out. I’m not sure how that would have impacted my bet. The “sealing” information would have moved Sinister G. up for me, but I’m not sure even in hindsight I would have bet him in perfectas with the high odds exotic horses. I really thought he’d get involved in a pace war with Hasslefree, but these things are always a matter of fate. My “key” was that I expected Birdstone out of the money. The only horses I really didn’t like were Hasslefree, Birdstone , Hippocrates and New Element. I liked the others and though Little Matth Man was my favorite I didn’t think Tap Dancing Mauk, That’s an Outrage or Tricky Taboo were reasonable win horses. In that regard the following exotic analysis:

Little Matth Man
Sinister G.
Silver Minister
Stolen Time

over

Little Matth Man
Sinister G.
Silver Minister
Stolen Time
Thats an Outrage
Tricky Taboo
Tap Dancing Mauk

over

Little Matth Man
Sinister G.
Silver Minister
Stolen Time
That's an Outrage
Tricky Taboo
Tap Dancing Mauck

over same again for superfecta.

For the trifecta I make that 120 combinations for a $240 dollar outlay. The return would have been approximately 14,000 (downgraded because my winning ticket would have had to have been factored in the individual returns) The return would have been approximately 50-1. Not bad, but not outstanding either.

If my math is right the superfecta would have required 480 combinations or $960, though I probably would have bet just a buck to try and take down the whole pool with a single dollar. So let’s say $480. Since the payout was 106,000 with the entire pool 135,000 it looks like a single bet took the pool. If my single buck had split the pool I would have gotten back 53,000 for the 480 or a return of 110-1. However the chances of the disliked horses sneaking into fourth are greatly increased in that wager. I bet the superfecta and I think a key is essential for it.

I lost my bet, but if that race could be rerun a couple times, I’m convinced I would have done better with significantly less risk than the “Ragozin” method of covering every base. The perfecta returned 588-1.

Matth was so far back you couldn't see it in the race but my advice to the agent wasn't forcefully communicated to the jockey, otherwise I win.

From the Chart:

" LITTLE MATTH MAN far back early three wide, moved in a bit, ADVANCED INSIDE into the second turn, moved out three wide with three furlongs to go, came a path wider approaching the stretch and finished fast on the outside."

"TRICKY TABOO five wide on the first turn when within striking distance, moved closer four wide on the backstretch, continued in that path on the second turn and rallied willingly to be up for the place."

Mr. Mike Kelly, next time I call you with advice please stress with your non english speaking principle the importance of it.

CtC

Post Edited (03-23-04 09:45)

Subject Written By Posted
The "anti" rebate (822 Views) derby1592 03/22/2004 11:52PM
Taxes and Reflection on a lost bet (581 Views) Chuckles_the_Clown2 03/23/2004 06:42AM
Re: Taxes and Reflection on a lost bet (508 Views) Dr. Fager 03/23/2004 06:22PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.