Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  The Modesty Stakes Churchill May 3, 2024  • 2 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Yes, I meant takeout not handle. (508 Views)
Posted by: Thehoarsehorseplayer (IP Logged)
Date: March 29, 2004 08:19PM

And I edited it in my post.
My point is simply that I think getting an 8 percent rebate on an 18 percent takeout, is a better deal for the person receiving rebates than a universal takeout of 10 per cent.
It’s not the same thing. It’s a better deal.
And it’s not the same thing because, and this is only one of many reasons,reducing takeout by 8 percent would not automatically guarantee payoffs that were eight percent higher across the board. It’s just the nature of the game that there are many horses that are going to pay off at 9/2 whether the takeout is 10 percent or 25 percent. What lower takeouts would mean is that the people who can actually pick more winners than losers would bet more money on the 9/2 and make even more money. That is a good thing. And I support lower takeouts. What rebates mean is that guys don’t actually have to win more money than their fellow competitors to turn a profit at the track. That creates “distortions” And that is not a good thing.
Another way to look at it: Would you rather bet your last thousand dollars on an even money shot with a ten percent takeout or with an eighteen per cent takeout knowing you’ll get $80 back if you lose?
And my larger point is the advantages to people getting rebates are so large that people now receiving rebates are not willingly going to give them up. I mean, if the numbers that Steven Crist used in his “Rebates for all” column last week are true, that rebates account for ten percent of a 16 billion industry handle, then “rebates” are by themselves a 1.6 billion dollar (and growing) industry. Which I think might be interested in using politics and politicians for protecting what it perceives to be its own best interest.
And, in fact, where is the outcry?
Aqueduct hasn’t had a “live” million dollar handle all week. And I say “live” advisedly because I’m pretty sure those paltry numbers include the money called into the NYRA accounts.
The truth is that rebates only exist because tracks are willing partners in the process. The corruption of rebates has already taken hold. And in the absence of decisive action being taken to stem the tide, I’m thinking there is already enough money being passed around to make racing officials deaf, dumb and blind to what is obviously a cannibalization of their franchise.
And while I do give the scenario you propose some chance for success, I think supporting rebates to achieve lower takeouts is kind of like introducing rattlesnakes to your farm to keep out the rats. It should take care of the rat problem, but then what do you do about the rattlesnakes?
Listen, I don't think I'm being too melodramtic when I say the future of racing as we know it is at stake here. Either local tracks will figure out a way to get the big bettors back at the track betting through their windows, or the Industry will bend over for the soap and make like a lady for the Economics of Scale. Some desperate State out West will gladly provide the land and regulatory climate to build a complex of indoor and outdoor tracks designed to provide simulcast races on a 24 hour basis. With concentrated overheads, and all betting being run through one agency, lower takeouts will become quite achievable.
Well, if that's what you want from racing fine. But if you really would like your local track to be what it should be, the most sporting place in town, then I think we have to come up with more creative solutions than rebates offer.

Subject Written By Posted
And speaking of which... (817 Views) TGJB 03/29/2004 01:42PM
And maybe not (548 Views) Thehoarsehorseplayer 03/29/2004 03:17PM
Re: And maybe not (504 Views) TGJB 03/29/2004 04:37PM
Re: And speaking of which... (550 Views) HP 03/29/2004 04:42PM
Re: And speaking of which... (576 Views) TGJB 03/29/2004 05:07PM
Re: And speaking of which... (495 Views) JimP 03/29/2004 06:15PM
Yes, I meant takeout not handle. (508 Views) Thehoarsehorseplayer 03/29/2004 08:19PM
Re: Yes, I meant takeout not handle. (497 Views) HP 03/30/2004 09:01AM
Re: Yes, I meant takeout not handle. (552 Views) Know Nothing 03/30/2004 09:42AM
Re: And speaking of which... (525 Views) derby1592 03/29/2004 06:48PM
Small Player's Perspective (532 Views) BitPlayer 03/29/2004 06:54PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.