Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 1 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
WOW and the Wood (859 Views)
Posted by: Chuckles_the_Clown2 (IP Logged)
Date: April 09, 2004 06:24PM

I've just learned T-Graph made Smarty Jone's Rebel a -3.3

I knew it was fast and I knew he carried weight in doing it. I had no idea it scored that quick. This is a tough one. If you toss him on the figure you have to discount the apparent ease in which it was earned. It was speed rationed throughout the race. Each quarter went in 24 seconds, including the last. I invite the handicappers here to watch the replay at this site and chime in as to the nature of Smarty's stride at the end of the race. I'd ask your imput on his head movement as well especially as it pertains to before he challenged Purge and through the stretch and post wire:

http://www.kentuckyderby.com/2004/

He pulled away from Pro Prado in the stretch. The off pace horse lost ground to Smarty and Purge at a time where you'd think he'd make some up. Smarty just cruised away. To a certain extent however, they ran around the track 1-2-3.

Five pounds on weight means approx. Two lengths. Smarty went about a path wider and that probably was another length. He won by 3.25 so you add it up and you have about 6.25 lengths difference between Smarty and Purge for the race or roughly 3 T-Graph points.

Here are the raw times of the last four races, respectively a 3yr NW1X, 4up OC75K, 3yr 200k and 3 yr MSW

23.37, 46.71, 1:11.70, 1:25.35, 1:38.57
22.94, 46.01, 1:11.01, 1:24.36, 1:37.62
23.45, 47.65, 1:12.10, 1:36.06, 1:42.07
21.92, 45.40, 57.90, 1:10.52

The OC75K race were hard knocking horses. As I said before the most interesting thing to me about the Rebel was the phenomenal rationing of speed. I've rarely seen anything like it.

Blinkers off for Purge. Everyone expected Hasslefree to set the pace in the Lanes End. It could happen in the Arkansas Derby. A replay of the Lanes End tends to indicate the Jockey was pushing him for the front then the hole closed and he was forced into a rating game. (You miss the break on a speed horse and your done) I don't know what Pletcher is doing. Purge didn't lose that race because he never saw Smarty thats for sure. Maybe thats Pletcher's thought. Purge's ears were perked up until the time Smarty got right on his flank and he laid em back cause he heard or saw him. Purge ran well, but he had no way to fight back in that stretch. Purge has seen horses in front of him before and gone after them. Maybe thats gonna be the Ark. Derby strategy. If Purge is the most underrated horse in the nation, JR Velasquez/Pletcher seems to think Value Plus was the better horse to ride. Value is in. Purge needs to finish 2nd or better.

The question is do you play Smarty for the bounce here? It was essentially a four point move. If he's gonna bounce, this is the place, isn't it? Come on TGJB you said this was the fastest 3 yr old number on record...and in March? Call the bounce...lol

Assault – Other than figures, he has to be judged on Suave. He was second best to Suave last and Suave was handled pretty well in the Illinois Derby, after being subtly pinched back. (Caveat the charts don’t confirm that) Suave ran well, but didn't appear to improve significantly off his prior. He’s one that will have to finish 2nd or better to qualify for the Derby. The trip may tell

Tapit – Probably a good post. He’s gonna get some support on second race off the layoff. He's probably gonna go off 5 or 6-1. He certainly needed the last race. By pace reckoning, he ran a harder pace race than the soft Maryland juvenile competition required him to run and that could be the reason he couldn’t sustain late. (Its always amazing that the lung congestion problems are never determined pre race) He’s another that needs money to get in. Do his recent works hint at signs of life?

Consecrate – Probably already in on earnings. His figures are padded by the wides. Good Post, today he may not have to run near as wide. Baffert certainly isn’t shy about throwing him back into the battles, sometimes geldings respond to running often and he is a better horse this year than last so he is developing. Has tactical speed, probably a question of the ability to finish.

Swingforthefences – another that needs 2nd or better. 1st in stakes company on the pace over a tough track wasn’t bad. Granted the only two “stakes” horses beat him. Being that close to the pace probably hurt him last. He’s another that has shown ability and needs to move forward. He has a good hole and he’ll show more here. Its a question of the competition.

Master David – All you can say is Bailey is on Eddington, but this is Bobby Frankel in New York. Proceed at your own risk. This horse did show himself to be tough and game with Kalifornia’s best. Bobby wanted to take the Florida Derby, Wood route. This horse has run well on the Main and needs the money.

Value Plus – Working well, lots of tactical speed. Hard to believe that Pletcher is gonna let another horse slip away and then go after him to fade late from the effort. He probably goes this time, barring a gate mishap. Doesn’t appear to be much doubt about that. An argument could also be made that he bounced last and almost won doing so. With him it may also be an issue of the stress of the early pace and the ability to finish.

Little Matth Man – This is a horse I’m personally fond of. (Cheap sire, Cheap sales price) Though I realize he’s a tad slower and his pace style is one that doesn’t come out on top for horses very often. He’s caught a tougher field than he faced last, but he’s honest and he tries every time and a real hot pace could help him. An off track moves him up.

Eddington – Had significant trouble out of the gate last (OP minus? Less than 2 lengths? What do you think?) and he ran into some good horses that were probably better suited to the mile. Bailey up and you have to figure he could have ridden Master David if he chose to. There was jockey swap between Prado and Bailey on Birdstone and Eddington. My hunch is Bailey gave up Birdstone and Prado lost the mount on Eddington and then lost the mount on Birdstone for the Bluegrass when the Bird came up with a high white blood cell. None of which means much of anything, but in races this close factoring jockey choices is not a bad idea…lol The Gotham indicates Eddington has some speed and he ran close to the hot fractions after the lst 1/8th mile or so, but he certainly wasn’t chewing away at Saratoga County either. He appeared to be on the wrong lead the whole stretch. The time before that he bore in from the lead change and was called “green”. It didn't appear he was green. It looked like he just didn't change leads deftly. If he doesn’t change leads correctly here all that Unbridled and Chief’s Crown breeding may not matter to him. He met good horses Gotham day and didn’t dominate them. He has the favorite, dang near odds on. Today, he HAS to make money and he’s got a quick turn to deal with. He certainly could do it, but he could also go South on that Gotham, which might have been more demanding than it appears. My mantra is “Retire J.D. Bailey and make the game safer for all jockeys”. You can bet that strategy will be implemented in the Wood. Even if it loses, it pays.

Sinister G. – I am convinced Turfway had an anti rail bias all of Lane’s End Week. Lane’s end day it wasn’t as severe or the horses were of such quality that some were able to partially run through the bias, though it appeared to affect all that ran on the rail. Additionally, the track was sealed prior to the Lanes End and that may have further vitiated the bias, though that can't be said with certainty. Both Birdstone and Silver Minister spent a good portion of time on that rail and of course they were nowhere to be found at the end. Sinister G. was the only horse I saw all week that came anywhere close to running that rail and in the fashion he did. Which means what? Well, it probably means his figure is better than it appears. So what does that mean? Well, that’s the question isn’t it? If he returns to it he still has to negotiate that first turn and all those horses inside of him: Tapit, Consecrate, Swingforthefences, Master David, Value Plus and Eddington. If the effort is as big as it appears, he could very well bounce. Though he's worked well and its not a RTF FOY effort. He’s carried the weight and looks like a different horse with the lasix. Song of the Sword's Illinois Derby does not reflect poorly on him.

Horns Hope – This horse can finish, but he’s gonna find he’s nowhere near the pace in this race. Its hard to say how that will impact him. If he can handle the weight and class jump he could rally up for some. Its tough to get optimistic about that.

Cuba – This horse has more pace ability. Whether its enough or he can show it from his post is debatable. The outside posts for these two may prove problematic in regard to everything else they are taking on.

CtC

Post Edited (04-09-04 22:17)

Subject Written By Posted
WOW and the Wood (859 Views) Chuckles_the_Clown2 04/09/2004 06:24PM
Re: The Wood (453 Views) BitPlayer 04/09/2004 10:17PM
Re: The Wood (516 Views) Chuckles_the_Clown2 04/09/2004 11:30PM
Re: WOW and the Wood (544 Views) Fabulous1 04/09/2004 10:28PM
Re: WOW and the Wood (506 Views) RICH 04/10/2004 05:48AM
Re: WOW and the Wood (530 Views) kev 04/10/2004 10:56AM
Re: WOW and the Wood (519 Views) Michael D. 04/10/2004 09:47AM
Master David and M-99 (472 Views) Silver Charm 04/10/2004 11:32AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.