Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 1 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Re: No Star Power is Good for the Breeders Cup (396 Views)
Posted by: P-Dub (IP Logged)
Date: October 28, 2014 04:48AM

I can search many tracks and many races on a daily basis, looking for big fields and viable long shots.

When its Breeders' Cup Day, I want to see stars. Sorry, but for me its about more than big fields and big mutuels. I want to see the stars perform, and I want to also see the top horses in the respective divisions run. I think this year's BC is shaping up rather nicely, despite the disappointment of Wise Dan not running.

Like most of us, I've watched every BC. I've seen 7 of them live, and can remember something special about each of them.

1993: Arcangues and his shocking upset. For star power we had Lure, Kotashaan, and 2 great Juvenile races with Brocco and Phone Chatter. Hollywood Wildcat was another really good horse.

1997: The great Skip Away trounced the filed in the Classic. Favorite Trick and his undefeated record. Other than Skip Away, who beat a rather mediocre field, this was a rather unmemorable day. I never looked at that card and said "Wow, I really want to see THAT horse run". Other than Skip Away. I left the track that day feeling like I had watched a nice card, but far from a memorable day of racing. Just my 2 cents.

2003: I thought this was a tremendous day of racing, with Mandella winning four. Cajun Beat lighting up the tote was a nice hit on TG, I believe Jerry had this horse featured in his seminar. Six Perfections in the Mile, Julie Krone bringing home Halfbridled from the outside post, a thrilling DH in the turf between High Chaparal and the locally based Johar. Pleasantly Perfect wrapped up a memorable day of racing, and paying a nice price if I remember correctly.

2007: A good friend was affiliated with West Point, and had a small piece of Dream Rush and Lear's Princess. So off I went with him to Monmouth Park, enduring rain that came down in BUCKETS all weekend. I flew all the way from California for this?? Without any rain gear?? It was the first 2 day BC, and despite the crappy weather I really enjoyed this BC. Maybe it was being at a new track, my buddy having an interest in a couple horses, or maybe killing it with TG. I dunno. For star power, we had: Midnight Lute, English Channel, and Curlin. I cashed Kip Deville, English Channel, and Curlin and the verticals too. Also won a couple grand playing 20/40 at the Borgata Saturday night (I swear, on the cab ride each way my buddy and I thought we were gonna get robbed at any moment.)

2008: Goldikova, Zenyatta, Midnight Lute, Ventura. Yeah, it was run over that Shi....y synthetic, but it sure didn't lack for star power.

2009: Two of the all time great fillies raced that day with Goldikova winning her 2nd Mile and Zenyatta winning the Classic in what may been the most memorable sporting event I've ever witnessed live. Don't want to debate the surface, her numbers, or any of that stuff. If you were there, you know what I mean.

2013: Wise Dan, Mucho Macho Man, Beholder, Mizdirection, Groupie Doll, amongst the winners last year. And I got to meet Jim Covello (or is it he got to meet me??). That was a tremendous 2 days of racing.

I'm flying out Friday morning, and can't wait. Its not just another bunch of races to wager on, although the wagering is always great. I want to see stars. I'm looking forward to the Classic with Shared Belief, California Chrome, Bayern, etc... That's not bad for star power right there. Dank returning to defend her crown in the F/M Turf. Untapable and Close Hatches in the Distaff. And while the other races may not have superstars in them, there are many quality horses running.

I agree with Silver's premise that the wagering opportunities will be fantastic. Looking forward to the dialogue once the draw is announced and everyone has their TG.

P-Dub

Subject Written By Posted
No Star Power is Good for the Breeders Cup (619 Views) Silver Charm 10/27/2014 08:54PM
Re: No Star Power is Good for the Breeders Cup (422 Views) gteasy 10/28/2014 01:47AM
Re: No Star Power is Good for the Breeders Cup (396 Views) P-Dub 10/28/2014 04:48AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.