Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 1 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Re: Hey Fairmount (884 Views)
Posted by: Fairmount1 (IP Logged)
Date: November 02, 2014 06:16PM

Apologies to Rick B. as brevity probably won't be key here.

Just back to STL from Arcadia. What a trip. It was fantastic. Highlight of the weekend was certainly assisting with the structure and some selections of a friend's Pick 6 wager that he hit for $16k like TGJB on Friday. My friend was also alive to Don't Tell Sophia for $56k. I have never felt that kind of excitement for a friend's ticket as when Untapable and Sophia were in the stretch drive.

The Thorograph figures and the analysis were worth every penny. I don't purchase TG often enough despite reading every post every day. The Mott horse on Friday at 10-1 was my use like P-Dub thanks to TG. I'll make one more compliment on the figs and leave it at that---if you are going to the track to seriously wager money or play a contest and you are not using TG figures to supplement your handicapping, it is the equivalent of bringing a knife to a gunfight. I'll be a more frequent purchaser without any doubt.

While the figs led to all kinds of horses to use both days......

My only solid decision on Saturday was a decent size win/place bet on Work All Week richiebee. I bet him for several reasons but I'll only bore you with one very minor reason I used him---in 2013 he beat River Bear by 5 lengths at Fairmount Park (Work all week received a TG 0 that day). No one beats River Bear at Fairmount unless he is 9 years old like this year muchless by 5 lengths. There were several other signs that pointed to my wager on him but again, that was my one and only good decision on Saturday. Anodin ran terrific but didn't get there. Roger B. used to train for Fairmount Park owner Bill Stiritz, but like all Stiritz trainers he was let go. The animosity between Roger and Bill had to be intense as Roger had clients claiming many of Stiritz's horses for a while after the split. Stiritz still hasn't had a BC starter I'm aware of so good for the former Fairmount Park trainer to not only beat him to the BC but win a race there.

Lewis Michael ran in the BC 3 times I believe after competing in the inauguarl St. Louis Derby in 2006. He didn't win that race at Fairmount (Lawyer Ron won the race under Holthus' care) or in the BC.

The only other BC lore connected to a horse that ran at Fairmount that I know of interest is Slight in the Rear. In 1989 Slight in the Rear went 4 for 4 for Trainer Mike Nance and owner MY Stables (Ron McKay). She won the Arlington Breeders' Debutante in her 4th start of the year with Pat Day aboard. She still holds the 5 furlong record at Fairmount from her 2yo year. Her average winning margin was 7 lengths after the Arlington victory by a "mere" 4 lengths. She beat Lady Shirl who ran 2nd and later produced BC winner Perfect Shirl and several other solid runners. The Fairmount crew along with Day were Breeders Cup bound with a 2yo filly when she got injured. To this day, I believe Nance is devestated. In my very young days about 15 years ago, I spoke to Nance about her for the better part of an hour and a half. It was fascinating to hear him talk about her and he knew every detail of 1989 Juvenile Fillies race a decade later and still thought she would have been right there. Other than that, I don't know any BC connections to Fairmount with respect to horses that ran in Collinsville. Obviously jockeys, trainers, and owners have surely had connections to the leaky roof track but Work All Week surely is the first BC winner.

I haven't been able to see the replay of the Classic just yet and look at it closely. But Shared Belief was uncomfortable through the stretch the first time, was horribly out of sorts, and wasn't able to have a legitimate chance to run his race after being compromised at the start. This is no doubt in my mind a takedown/DQ although I wasn't shocked at their decision. In the era of instant replay and changing calls in every sport, racing once again is way behind. You can all analyze it any way you want. If Mig says it is a takedown, then I'm going with what he says since he was been in that situation more than any of us.

“So do you feel better now after that explanation, Richie,” Hazelton says.

“Nope… and I like the stewards here. I don’t agree with the call,” Migliore responds almost in disbelief, adding, “How can you say one point of the race is more or less important than another? ‘At that point of the race,’ any point of the race. It’s part of the race.”

http://www.horseracingnation.com/blogs/derbywars/Routinely_Disgraceful_123#

Last, I disagree with Jcovello about the Halloween issue and the 24 hour security issues. I want to know the guards are watching what's going on 24 hours a day as trainers I continue to suspect of nefarious activity continue to struggle mightily at the BC. As I read the account of the recent 20 year ban of a vet in Indiana, it struck me that anyone can realize when something THIS WRONG is happening to a horse. I love the term "Vitamin Jug." I think I'll start yelling that instead of "Juice" next time I suspect a R-Rod moveup.

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray-s-paddock/indiana-commission-says-vets-ethical-compass-is-broken-urges-20-year-ban/

As for Halloween, we have too many holidays and off days in America anyway. Halloween is an unofficial one at that for kids to have fun, dress up, and get candy. Not sure horse racing should focus on Halloween falling on Friday or Saturday of BC weekend which happens what...about twice every 7 years or so (this year and next year). And college football seemed to be lacking in quality day games yesterday so the placement was fine. Sorry jcovello I'm not married, never have been so I have no idea how hard it is to tell your wife that she has to take the kids trick or treating. But I do know I'm excited for Halloween at Keeneland next year!!!

Subject Written By Posted
Hey Fairmount (849 Views) richiebee 11/02/2014 07:57AM
Re: Hey Fairmount (884 Views) Fairmount1 11/02/2014 06:16PM
Re: Hey Fairmount (576 Views) richiebee 11/05/2014 10:26PM
Re: Hey Fairmount (563 Views) Fairmount1 11/06/2014 09:13PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.