Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 1 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Re: OSU (453 Views)
Posted by: smalltimer (IP Logged)
Date: January 13, 2015 08:38PM

I likely have the most complete, real life perspective on this subject as anyone who is likely post.
To be clear, I'm 61 years old and live in Nebraska. Prior to 1962 when Bob Devaney became the head football coach, the Husker program sucked..(Kinda like it does now). When Devaney had his first press conference and the press asked him how many games he wanted to win, he said, "I don't want to win so many that we go on probation, but I'd like to win enough to warrant an investigation." By 1970, Nebraska had won its first national championship.
When Tom Osborne took over in 1972 NU was plagued with playing the mighty Oklahoma Sooners and coach Barry Switzer. These were the original THUGS. NU played great football week in and week out, but was not able to beat OU until 1978, the fans of Nebraska wanted Osborne's hide. He couldn't win the "big one". That despite never winning less than 9 games for 25 straight years. Oklahoma was made up of David Overstreet (arrested on campus for wielding an UZI), Kerry Jackson (sent to prison during career for cocaine distribution), and a boat load of ultra-talent, ultra thuggish athletes. A known cheater, and head coach at several Division I Universities, Jackie Sherrill said, "how can I compete with Barry Switzer? I show up in my pickup truck and Switzers giving out Chevis Regal from the back of a Lear Jet." Money was never an object, nor was character when Switzer was there. The people in Texas always said, "The University of Oklahoma is the best Texans money can buy." They weren't wrong.
After NU's butt whippings from OU, us fans were then treated to several Orange Bowl appearance against the Miami Hurricanes. Most of the people on this board are well aware of their thug mentality. Sapp, Irwin, Lewis, etc. Impossible to beat.
NU then got a taste of Florida State for a couple times in the Orange Bowl and had trouble with Bowden's Free Shoes University. This was after NU was beaten in the Orange Bowl by that filthy cheater Danny Ford at Clemson. Man, as an NU fan, I was sooooooo sick of getting whipped by these type programs.
About 1992 Coach Osborne, apparently figured if you beat 'em, join 'em. Welcome to the party Lawrence Phillips, Abdul Mohammed, Christian Peter and that crew of thugs. Nobody could touch that group as they went about 62-3 over a 4 year period. The wins were great, decisive, and we (as fans) were able to extract a little satisfaction when we were on top. However, in those days, everyday you opened up the sports page or tuned into the local sports, you kinda held your breath until it was an uneventful day from someone in the football program.
Osborne retired and NU returned to normalcy. However, we haven't exactly ignored the thug types with our recent NU grads. Richie Incognito, Dominic Raiola and of course Detroit's Mr. Suh.
What I'm trying to say is its really hard, maybe impossible to win a national title if you don't have these thug types. How many did USC turn out during their run with Reggie Bush and that bunch? I've seen the "types" of players that is typically takes to win it all, and it ain't pretty.
This year Nebraska's most high-profile player is a really good running back. Ameer Abdullah. Great kid, never been close to trouble, comes from a great family in Alabama. Ameer is the YOUNGEST kid in a family of 9 children..
ALL 9 KIDS IN HIS FAMILY ARE COLLEGE GRADUATES. I don't care what anybody says, that's impressive in this day and age!! Quality kids like this that produce a lot of yards is a welcome relief. Ameer is graduating soon and in 4 years at Nebraska, the team lost 4 games every single year.
I guess you get both perspectives when you start with nothing, win everything, decide the price to win is too high, and then resort to normalcy.
Some of the high profile trainers in the horse business have tasted the good life and most of them are not going back anytime soon.
Thanks, and sorry for the length of the message.

Subject Written By Posted
OSU (767 Views) Paolo 01/13/2015 06:23PM
Re: OSU (572 Views) TGJB 01/13/2015 07:04PM
Re: OSU (492 Views) lovetwogamble 01/13/2015 09:18PM
Re: OSU (497 Views) smalltimer 01/13/2015 10:28PM
Re: OSU (414 Views) Sandreadis 01/14/2015 05:28PM
Re: OSU (395 Views) smalltimer 01/14/2015 06:32PM
Re: OSU (453 Views) smalltimer 01/13/2015 08:38PM
Re: OSU (383 Views) johnnym 01/14/2015 07:46PM
Re: OSU (416 Views) smalltimer 01/14/2015 08:33PM
Re: OSU (500 Views) TGJB 01/14/2015 10:55PM
Re: OSU (416 Views) P-Dub 01/15/2015 04:00AM
Re: OSU (470 Views) Tavasco 01/13/2015 09:52PM
Re: OSU (460 Views) P-Dub 01/14/2015 06:21AM
Re: OSU (469 Views) moosepalm 01/14/2015 07:46AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.