Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Re: Split Variants, Chapter 2,653 (522 Views)
Posted by: TGJB (IP Logged)
Date: May 02, 2004 07:39PM

CTC covered some of the related ground well in his post, and he is dead on about degrees of moisture. Those of you who have not already done so should check out the expo presentation on the home page, or do a search on this site using "Jerry Porcelli" (NYRA track supeintendent), "moisture content", or "changing track speeds".

Beyer is actually likely to make fewer assumptions about the track staying the same than Ragozin, although that does not necessarily mean he gets all of them right. I got a call after the Rebel from a well known guy who used to be on-camera for NYRA-- he uses Beyer, but he was questioning the Rebel figure. Andy had told him he split the race off simply because he didn't believe it, and the guy wanted to know what I had done with the race. I had given SJ the enormous figure, not that I liked it (I cringed), but because if you took that one horse out of the day it was completely clear what was going on-- the race fit tight with the day (I had the track getting faster, and actually added a little to that race), and internally within the race PP and Purge got exact pairups, with no one else running a new top. It was ice cold, so I had to give SJ the number, and Ragozin did the same (they run 3-4 points slower than us).

But I did the Blue Grass differently than Len did-- for whatever reason, I have learned that the 1 1/8ths at Kee often (meaning, as often as not) have no correlation with the 1 1/16th, let alone the 1 turn races. I gave them big figures, all right-- but not as big as I gave SJ. Ragozin basically gave both races the same figure, we had SJ almost 3 points better than TCE. At this point it is still an open question as to who got it right, based on results-- we will find out by looking at how ALL the horses out of the BG run.

Ragozin uses weight and ground, which makes for a significant advantage over Beyer both in using the figures for betting and for future figure making decisions. But Ragozin is way too dogmatic, in ways that don't stand up to any critical scrutiny-- in terms of an understanding of variant making, Beyer is way ahead of Ragozin and Friedman, who pretty much blindly accepts whatever Ragozin says without examining it.

Before this gets too confusing-- just went back and read your post again. I've been talking about the Rebel, which was SJ's biggest figure. We had his Ark Derby figure about a point faster then TGE's BG figure. Ragozin had it about 2 points SLOWER. Beyer had it about the same as Ragozin (1 TG/Rag point = 3.3 Beyer points). Again, time will tell.

I'm tired, so I may or may not have gotten it right or covered this all. Going home, more tomorrow.

TGJB

Subject Written By Posted
Split Variants, Chapter 2,653 (1104 Views) TGJB 05/02/2004 06:08PM
Re: Split Variants, Chapter 2,653 (551 Views) FORTKNOX 05/02/2004 07:00PM
Re: Split Variants, Chapter 2,653 (522 Views) TGJB 05/02/2004 07:39PM
Re: Split Variants, Chapter 2,653 (516 Views) FORTKNOX 05/02/2004 08:53PM
MOTOS (486 Views) Chuckles_the_Clown2 05/02/2004 07:10PM
A Picture Speaks a Thousand Words (579 Views) Silver Charm 05/02/2004 11:10PM
Re: A Picture Speaks a Thousand Words (523 Views) Chuckles_the_Clown2 05/03/2004 12:12AM
Re: A Picture Speaks a Thousand Words (549 Views) Silver Charm 05/03/2004 09:33AM
Re: A Picture Speaks a Thousand Words (599 Views) Mall 05/03/2004 10:07AM
Re: A Picture Speaks a Thousand Words (554 Views) Chuckles_the_Clown2 05/03/2004 03:28PM
Re: A Picture Speaks a Thousand Words (545 Views) pgsheets 05/03/2004 09:41AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.