Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  The Modesty Stakes Churchill May 3, 2024  • 2 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
CD Carryover & Slow Derbies (772 Views)
Posted by: Chuckles_the_Clown2 (IP Logged)
Date: May 05, 2004 07:06PM

I knew that CD Carryover was gonna be tough...lol

You gotta love computers, how did we ever do without them? I did a quick little study on slow time Derby winners. Essentially, I looked for any slow times and I judged them slow by the closing fraction. I don’t purport that is a scientific manner…lol I listed the indicated track condition. Sometimes it wasn’t wet, so threw I those in anyway. I have to say, I discontinued looking when I realized there were a lot of slow time winners in the 40’s and 50’s and the theory I based looking into this upon was not holding up at all.

Before I threw in the towel, I looked up 1925 a little more carefully and in all candor its hard to make any kind of summary about 1925. That year the Belmont was 1 mile and 3/16ths. The Derby winner didn’t hit the board in the Preakness or Belmont, but I don’t know if he even ran. For that matter the leading money earners from the Derby were nowhere to be found. I think for the years 1989, 1958 and 1948 (all on wet tracks) a case can be made for my initial theory (i.e. big separation on a tiring Churchill surface reveals Belmont placing). That’s far from absolute, as all is in this game, and I think modern racing has to be factoring into that theory. However, I think Easy Goer, Little Current, Tim Tam and Citation lend some support to my theory. Obviously the key is…..

How good is the horse?..and if I'd started with that I'd of saved myself 90 minutes....lol:

<a href = "http://www.angelfire.com/falcon/djdalton/Slow_Derby_Winners.xls"> </a>

Subject Written By Posted
CD Carryover & Slow Derbies (772 Views) Chuckles_the_Clown2 05/05/2004 07:06PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.