Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 2 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Identifying Vulnerable Favorites (715 Views)
Posted by: Delmar Deb (IP Logged)
Date: July 27, 2004 02:16AM

A few notes (by my husband) from the July 25th Del Mar card...

"In race #6, Remonte was 51% to pair his recent two 4's. No one else in the field looked to be better than a 7. Bet down from his 5/1 morning line to 7/2, on the surface it looked like a gift. Remonte finished 7th in a field of ten, and never threatened at any point.

So what happened? The two paired 4's were both accomplished at the marathon distance of 1 1/2 miles, and the current race was at a distance of 1 1/16. His figures for races other than at 1 1/2 did not show any significant advantage over the rest of the field. I thought he was a bet against and played accordingly. As Jerry says, you still have to handicap!

In race #7, Stonebridge Lady was sent off as the 2/1 favorite and finished a well-beaten 5th in a field of nine. She did have the best last race fig going in, but the new pattern stats indicated that she was 31% to run an "off" race and 54% to run an "x". The trainer's stats did not offer any significant contradiction to these percentages - as was the case with Bayamo (in the 8th) where the pattern stats suggested a bounce while the relevant trainer stats for 11-29 days showed that the horse was more likely to pair.

When there are significant differences between the pattern and trainer stats, I guess it's just back to basic handicapping as to determining which scenario is more likely to occur. But, Jerry, if you have any suggestions re this area, I would appreciate the insight.

In any event, the new stats seem to be working just fine out here!

Delmar Deb

Subject Written By Posted
Identifying Vulnerable Favorites (715 Views) Delmar Deb 07/27/2004 02:16AM
Re: Identifying Vulnerable Favorites (454 Views) TGJB 07/27/2004 03:01PM
Re: Identifying Vulnerable Favorites (473 Views) OPM 07/27/2004 11:11PM
Re: Identifying Vulnerable Favorites (461 Views) TGJB 07/28/2004 02:22PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.