Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2024 Kentucky Oaks/Derby Days Final Figures Churchill Downs May 3 & May 4, 2024 
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Chocolate, Strawberry or Vanilla? (939 Views)
Posted by: Chuckles_the_Clown2 (IP Logged)
Date: January 15, 2005 07:37AM

Its funny,

I've known of "milkshakes" for a number of years, but I never knew precisely what they did. There was no information upon it and I didn't pursue questioning regarding it. Now, you can't turn anywhere without finding in depth stories upon the practice. It's a complete reversal of the informatoin blackout, which is a very good sign a change is in the air.

Following is a blurb from the online DRF. The part about "dissipation in the blood" kinda makes me believe that milkshakes may indeed have a double boost to the horse. Neutralization of lactic acid and also that as the substance "dissipates" or breaks down the horse may get a little oxygenation jolt from the oxygen molecules in the compound. I do know now that even those more familiar with milkshakes are not entirely certain of the chemical/biological relationships:

For a postrace test, "The time to get a sample is specific. It has to be done about an hour to an hour and 15 minutes after a race," said Joe Lynch, the director of racing operations for the New York racing board. "It tends to dissipate in the blood.":

http://www.drf.com/news/article/62045.html

The other possibility is the kidneys clear it out in complete substance form. Its not all milkshaking though.

Doping,

Results look a little mixed Friday on a notion that the Fed Investigation may dissuade hanky panky quickly. Carlos Martin actually won the first race at Aqeduct before his license was suspended. Thereafter "Son of Leading Trainer" also won. Mullins took down two at Santa Anita. No comment on whether the horses fit, none went off very high and none won by very much.

CtC

Post Edited (01-15-05 08:29)

Subject Written By Posted
Chocolate, Strawberry or Vanilla? (939 Views) Chuckles_the_Clown2 01/15/2005 07:37AM
Re: Chocolate, Strawberry or Vanilla? (460 Views) NoCarolinaTony 01/15/2005 09:49AM
Re: Chocolate, Strawberry or Vanilla? (409 Views) Saddlecloth 01/15/2005 11:30AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.