Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2024 Kentucky Oaks/Derby Days Final Figures Churchill Downs May 3 & May 4, 2024 
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
The Worldwide Leader In Sports. (605 Views)
Posted by: Mall (IP Logged)
Date: January 24, 2005 06:08PM

Two full crews were filming & interviewing contestants from start to finish, so they should have approx 40 hrs of tape to edit down to an exciting 45 mins, which will air on 2/20. It sounds like a lot, but I'm told that the WPT televises 1-2 of every 50 hands at the final table, which is why televised poker is a lot more exciting than real life poker. derby1592 reports that the ESPN crew was very happy with the electric atmosphere, which they thought was particularly loud & boistrous during the mandatory races. Whether it was because of where I was sitting, or because, as someone once told me, I look & act like I know what I'm doing even when I don't, I was the 1st long interview on day 1. The questions related to which handicapping products I use, & how I use my computer to handicap, so if it airs TGraph is going to get a televised endorsement, which may not be worth very much considering how I did. In addition, the guys who know me are going to get a good laugh, since derby1592 observed that I sounded like the ultimate high tech handicapper & that is more than decidedly not the case. The idea, I think, was to demonstrate that the game can be played & enjoyed on a variety of levels, particularly as the next person who was interviewed in depth was the youngest person ever to qualify, an attractive 21 yr old waitress who just took up the game a short time ago because of her boyfriend, & who got to make the trip because the person who finished ahead of her couldn't go. In consultation with her boyfriend, think baseball cap on backwards, she hit the 1st 4 races which she played, so the crew decided on a staged shot showing her intently studying the drf. However, the shot had to be delayed to give her boyfriend time to turn the page to a race which was actually part of the contest. It wasn't until the next day that I remembered that when I wrote the NTRA 2 yrs ago or so suggesting that they jump on the televised poker bandwagon as quickly as possible, I repeatedly emphasized that the popularity of their broadcasts was in large part due to the "david vs goliath" match-ups. I can see it now, "Let's check back after the 1st 4 races(or at any point, for that matter), & see how the "expert" is faring in comparison to the young waitress who uses nothing but a racing form & only started handicapping two weeks ago..."

Subject Written By Posted
The Worldwide Leader In Sports. (605 Views) Mall 01/24/2005 06:08PM
Re: The Worldwide Leader In Sports. (392 Views) derby1592 01/24/2005 09:02PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.