Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2024 Kentucky Oaks/Derby Days Final Figures Churchill Downs May 3 & May 4, 2024 
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Re: The Worldwide Leader In Sports. (391 Views)
Posted by: derby1592 (IP Logged)
Date: January 24, 2005 09:02PM

Mall has pretty much covered all the bases on the contest. It was fun and I really enjoyed spending 2 days "doping out the races" with Mall and also meeting a lot of other good people and good handicappers such as this year's champ, Jamie Mickelson. As Mall said, he should be a good representative for the rest of us handicappers and may help dispell a bit of the "racetrack degenerate" sterotype associated with the sport.

Unfortunately, my decisions were not nearly as good as Jamie's and despite his record-breaking performance our Youbet team did not win the team competition.

The cameras were a bit of distraction at first but these guys were very good at what they did and after a while you hardly noticed them (except for the bright lights and heat). Hopefully, some of the Mall interview will survive the cutting room floor because he is just as articulate and interesting as the others he mentioned in his post (although not quite as young).

The cameras also were rolling during various pre-race discussions between Mall and myself and it will be interesting to see if any of those make the broadcast. It would be fun to see the show spiced up with references to "recovery patterns, explosive lines, what number it will take to win the race, and the % of tops this trainer gets off the layoff" etc.

Mall, mentioned a few of my bad decisions but I was not the only one guilty of picking a big priced horse who ran well and failing to play it in the contest. On the second day, Mall and I were discussing a mandatory maiden race that had a 3/5 first timer in it, which presented a lot of longshot possibilities with the rest of the field. I liked a 25/1 making its third start and Mall was touting (quite convincingly I might add) a second time starter at 50/1.

I stuck with my pick which chased the 3/5 shot all the way around (the 3/5 shot won by 10 lengths) and lost the place at the wire to none other than Mall's 50/1 shot. I figured that even though I did not score any contest points, at least Mall would pick up the cap price on the place but, as you probably guessed, Mall ended up not playing the horse.

The one bit of film I hope does get cut is when my only longshot contest winner on the first day held on to win by a nose in an extended stretch battle and they had the cameras on me watching the entire stretch drive. I have a feeling that I will be cringing if I see that one on the tube...

Chris

Subject Written By Posted
The Worldwide Leader In Sports. (605 Views) Mall 01/24/2005 06:08PM
Re: The Worldwide Leader In Sports. (391 Views) derby1592 01/24/2005 09:02PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.