Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2024 Kentucky Oaks/Derby Days Final Figures Churchill Downs May 3 & May 4, 2024 
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Re: big a 8th -- Potentially Explosive Issue (514 Views)
Posted by: TGJB (IP Logged)
Date: December 29, 2005 02:44PM

SoCal-- I'm taking a few days off (in NoCal), so I won't be checking the board that often, but I saw this and have a little time, so...

There are two different issues here: how I "know" a figure is correct, and how you (the customer) do. I know from all the ways that I use to make the figures themselves, which I have discussed here many times at length, and I have access to a lot of information you do not when doing so-- all the other figures that must be assigned if I give the one in question (they are connected as you say, one can't be changed without changing the others), the lifetime figure histories of the other horses in the race, the other races, the history of what the track does, run-ups, track maintenance etc.

You do not have any of that information, except on those rare occasions I post whole races after they have been run with figures (Gold cup etc.). So how do you know? You can't know about an individual figure before the fact, but you have some ways of making global determinations as to whose figures to trust:

1-- You keep an eye on what horses out of that race (or that part of the country) do going forward. The two recent Mid-Atlantic shippers are just two to come from there to NYRA-- I seem to remember a lot running at Saratoga. And I seem to recall a horse called Super Frolic that someone bought from there and raced elsewhere based on those figures. One caveat here is to remember that some horses won't fire shipping or first time over a track, but if a significant number of horses from a location are running to their figures-- not consistently running big new tops, not consistently running no better than 3 points off their tops-- the figures are right or close.

In looking at individual races (or days), it is important to keep in mind that horses other than the winner come out of them. Example-- the Gold Cup, where you could argue either way what Borrego would do going forward, but it was simply ridiculous to think that all the other horses would run MANY points worse than they usually did on the same day (as Ragozin had it), but then jump WAY forward again next time out.

2-- You can use common sense. That was what was behind all the examples of silly Ragozin figures I gave pre BC, and we had some more examples coming out of it (like Borrego getting a better number for running tenth than winning the Gold Cup laughing). This also applies to checking on the reasoning used to make the figures (I've quoted Ragozin's own words on assuming the track does not change speed, for example, and showed scientific evidence for why it is absolutely wrong). Also to someone's willingness to explain their reasoning, and post figures for whole races to expose them to critical analysis (when someone consistently doesn't want to answer questions, there's a reason for it, both here and in politics, and that's a non-partisan comment. I voted for the guy the first time).

On the other hand, I have several times pointed out IN ADVANCE times where you would be able to track major errors those guys had made with a group of horses-- 01 BC at belmont, 7/27/05 last 2 dirt races at Sar, Gold Cup this year, etc. And by the way, I will give free data for a month to anyone that can get Friedman to post those 7/27 Saratoga races on their site and keep them there for a week.

There is obviously a lot more to say on this subject, but that'll do for now. Short answer-- you need to figure out who figures to be right, because in an individual case you won't have a way to know before the fact.

And I don't mind these conversations at all.

Subject Written By Posted
big a 8th (739 Views) RICH 12/28/2005 03:58PM
Re: big a 8th (480 Views) P-Dub 12/29/2005 12:17AM
Re: big a 8th -- Potentially Explosive Issue (539 Views) SoCalMan2 12/29/2005 04:14AM
Re: big a 8th -- Potentially e Issue (467 Views) Kasept 12/29/2005 07:49AM
Re: big a 8th -- Potentially e Issue (445 Views) SoCalMan2 12/29/2005 08:34AM
Re: big a 8th -- Potentially e Issue (442 Views) RICH 12/29/2005 11:03AM
Re: big a 8th -- Potentially e Issue (467 Views) TGAB 12/29/2005 02:06PM
Re: big a 8th -- Potentially Explosive Issue (514 Views) TGJB 12/29/2005 02:44PM
Re: big a 8th -- Potentially Explosive Issue (401 Views) rando 12/30/2005 06:46PM
Re: big a 8th (456 Views) dshapiro 12/29/2005 11:28AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.