Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2024 Kentucky Oaks/Derby Days Final Figures Churchill Downs May 3 & May 4, 2024 
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Let there be ROCK (479 Views)
Posted by: Chuckles_the_Clown2 (IP Logged)
Date: April 21, 2006 09:58PM

bellsbendboy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey CTC
>
> My guess is indeed two different scenarios.
>
> Bellamy Road was a bad ass Graded stakes winner
> who won his 3yo debut by fifteen lengths. He won
> the Wood easily, but worked "soft" at Churchill
> and came unglued.
>
> Sinister Minister had an acceptable debut, behind
> a runaway winner on a sealed track, Then, three
> weeks later Becerra put him up for sale!!! True
> he won the Bluegrass, and ran fast, but he is
> going backwards. He finished up on his left lead
> despite unrelenting left hand pressure and could
> not gallop four days afterward, so Baffert jogged
> him. His jockey decided not to ride him back
> before the win photo was taken.
>
> I do not care what figure TG, Beyer or aunt Jane
> gives Sinister, he's nowhwere in Louisville and
> 50-50 to ever win again. bbb

Bellsend, just for the record, you did post that First Samurai was a monster. I admit that he was my primary number two horse last Saturday, but all along I've made clear to this board that horse was not a Derby horse and now he's gone. Last year, I was adamantly against Bellamy Road when most thought he was the second coming. That said, I did not bet against Bellamy Road on bounce. I considered him mis-scored and vulnerable to both distance and a pace challenge. I made a nuisance of myself, but I'm certainly on the record if anyone cares to double check.

Last year these debates raged pre-Derby. This year it appears that Thorograph has elected to withhold their data on these races until after the event. Thats certainly their prerogative even if it makes this board a little more dull. It will also insulate them from us second guessing their figures, if that was contemplated by them. But if you followed the key horses into those final preps its not hard to estimate how fast they ran in those preps. It might make an interesting contest to project what Tgraph assigned in the preps and declare a winner post Derby for who was closest. Here are my estimates:

Wood winner -1
Bluegrass winner -4
Illinois Derby winner -2
S.A. Derby winner 1
Ark winner -1

If you're saying that Sinister Minister ran too fast and is a no play if he runs in the Derby, its quite likely that Tgraph is going to say the same thing. Ragozin's spokesman is already saying it. Assuming it to be true, I'm not altogether sure not galloping for four days after a tough race like the Bluegrass is out of the ordinary at all. Especially for Baffert. I'm also not sure Garret Gomez is on the right horse, or if it even was his choice. It wouldnt' be the first time a jockey and/or his agent tried to be handicappers.

Bottom line is this: I've taken positions against big figure horses when I think the figure is off, but to this point I will not dispute a mature horse Blue Grass figure for Sinister Minister. He may not repeat it at Churchill Downs, but he may not have to. I'm also not going to dismiss a 12-1 to 15-1 or more horse for being so fast he probably came unglued in his last, especially when its likely a price horse like that is going to pull his conditions. If he runs, I expect a first class effort out of Sinister Minister that literally buries some very highly regarded animals. He may not cross the wire first, but if he runs hes gonna rock their world.

Subject Written By Posted
bellamy road is back (804 Views) pres711 04/21/2006 03:52PM
Re: bellamy road is back (494 Views) Chuckles_the_Clown2 04/21/2006 08:17PM
Re: bellamy road is back (457 Views) bellsbendboy 04/21/2006 09:26PM
Re: bellamy road is back (474 Views) kev 04/21/2006 09:41PM
Let there be ROCK (479 Views) Chuckles_the_Clown2 04/21/2006 09:58PM
Re: Let there be ROCK (376 Views) RICH 04/22/2006 05:49AM
Re: Let there be ROCK (429 Views) RICH 04/22/2006 05:56AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.