Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 1 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Addendum (514 Views)
Posted by: Chuckles_the_Clown2 (IP Logged)
Date: May 01, 2006 04:59PM

richiebee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> What concerns me most about SNS is the fact that
> he has beaten little if anything in the races he
> has won; the true indication of his quality may
> have been his wide and gutty 3rd place finish in
> the Gotham. I am impressed by the manner in which
> he won the Ill Derby, but right now am not at all
> impressed with the second and third place
> finishers in that race. Mr Triester, who is a non-
> winner of 2 lifetime, was beaten in the Derby
> Trial by another NW2LT, Baffert's Record.

Yes, Mr. Triester was beaten. But, he was taken out of his preferred running style by trouble at the break. He actually broke last, settled, ran four wide and fanned 6 wide for the drive. He didn't make any inroads late, but he was only beaten a bit more than 2 lengths. If he broke well, its very likely he would have won. Is he among the top Derby 5? No, he’s not. He wasn't before and he’s not now. However, he is not a half bad horse and the Derby Trial did not reflect poorly upon him.

http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbPDFChart.cfm?TID=CD&CTRY=USA&DAY=D&DT=04/29/2006&STYLE=EQB&RACE=9&BorP=B

> And by
> the way, the Desormeaux nosheaux sidesheaux was
> way overplayed
> by some posters on this board.
>

You're close to my initial top four, having dropped Bro Derek for Jazil however. The chalkiness of those selections has worn off some due to the increased level of the competition in the next one, though you're probably sitting upon 3 of the top 5 choices, but for Jazil. In regard to devaluing SoS, did you ever contemplate the Desormeaux NoSheaux may subliminally be impacting you and thus that is why you devalued SoS's stock? Maybe, just maybe, deep down, secretly, desperately, what you actually fear is Kent Desormeaux. Scary. Jerry's pretty good at these types of evaluations if you need a referral.

Jazil is a nice little tiny bit of a horse. His little legs will really have to be moving well to not get impeded and cover enough ground to get up. It’s about 100-1 against that he gets the Wood trip Saturday. I kind of like him, but its good to get long odds there.

Addendum:

After much thought it has occured to me that Jockeys are notorious drunkards. As long as there have been small men in the saddle they have partied like sailors on shore leave. You wouldn't think that little men and booze would be a good mix. But those guys have an advantage in that area. They can get really, really snookered on less than half of what it costs us. I think the Wee Iceman drank. I know Sea Bisquits rider drank like a fish. Ron Hansen, Stewart Elliot, Pat Day, Chris Antley, Jerry Bailey. All the little men that are big riders have tied it on. Its just conduct that goes with the territory. Its vocational.

Now, I know that no one really doubts that Kent Desormeaux was as green as an Irish Leprechaun this past Friday night. Let's not even go there. But the real issue is whether its necessary to have a frosty, clear thinking jockey in the Run for the Roses? I'll answer that one for you. No, I dont' think it is, provided the horse is special enough to overcome a couple misjudgements. But what you really need with 20 horses fireballin down a straightaway into a turn thats only wide enough for 3 or 4 horses is a little courage. Falling there is almost certain impairment. Obviously luck is far more important than skill in that calvary charge. In that regard a wee man thats both lucky and bolstered with the best kind of courage is just the thing a bettor needs. When your little man is as green as a shamrock due to over imbibing in Bushmills or Jamesons, thats just got to be lucky.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2006 05:22PM by Chuckles_the_Clown2.

Subject Written By Posted
Stephen Foster, Bob and John (783 Views) richiebee 05/01/2006 04:35AM
Re: Stephen Foster, Bob and John (564 Views) Bally Ache 05/01/2006 06:48AM
Re: Stephen Foster, Bob and John (468 Views) RICH 05/01/2006 09:19AM
Addendum (514 Views) Chuckles_the_Clown2 05/01/2006 04:59PM
Re: Addendum-GET A LIFE! (436 Views) high roller 05/01/2006 05:30PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.