Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 1 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Re: Happily Unbridled - An Observation (901 Views)
Posted by: bryan teel (IP Logged)
Date: June 23, 2002 10:50AM

*** An observation regarding your odds model , the ranking of the odds it produces (from most likely to least likely winner ) is perhaps more important than the actual odds line it produces .
Your model had Transcendental as the most likely winner , the public had her as the fourth choice - this clear divergence points her out as an obvious overlay .
Her performance yesterday certainly proved the validity of that ranking .
The actual odds however were a bit troubling . Tke odds line of almost 5-1 on Raging Fever seems out of line . I believe a good question every handicapper who uses an odds line , however derived , should ask themselves is - would i stand on the other side of the counter and lay that price on a horse ?
I hope this doesn't appear as nit picking Chris , again it is just my observation of yesterday's and other races you have posted with your model . You are obviously an intelligent and articulate person who happens to be a highly skilled handicapper .
The mathematics involved in your odds model is well beyond my scope .
I use a rudimentary spread sheet analysis to project a race day TG number based upon recent TG numbers at today's surface and distance - adjusting for today's weight and projected ground loss . It keeps me from overlooking fast horses .
I thought your observations on Happily Unbridled were very insightful.
Ironically i think sheet players themselves are "conditioned" to sometimes outmoded thinking in term of condition analysis .
How else did Charismatic and War Emblen get away at the prices they did ?
According to the NY Times interview , Ernie Dahlman doesn't believe in the "bounce" , and
he says he is the master of the obvious . Well you don't get much more of an obvious play then the last out fastest TG number at the same surface and distance .
I look forward to your future posts . bj

Subject Written By Posted
Sheets Computer Model Odds line for the ROTW (1561 Views) derby1592 06/22/2002 12:47AM
Re: Sheets Computer Model Odds line for the ROTW (826 Views) kevin s 06/22/2002 02:35PM
Re: Sheets Computer Model Odds line for the ROTW (878 Views) Treadhead 06/22/2002 02:50PM
Happily Unbridled - An Observation (950 Views) derby1592 06/22/2002 04:51PM
Re: Happily Unbridled - An Observation (901 Views) bryan teel 06/23/2002 10:50AM
Re: Happily Unbridled - An Observation (881 Views) tegger 06/23/2002 02:31PM
Re: Happily Unbridled - An Observation (860 Views) Scott V 06/23/2002 06:51PM
Re: Happily Unbridled - An Observation (822 Views) mandown 06/23/2002 08:01PM
Re: Happily Unbridled - An Observation (875 Views) derby1592 06/23/2002 05:00PM
Re: Happily Unbridled - An Observation (875 Views) James Howard 06/23/2002 11:50PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.