Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2024 Kentucky Oaks/Derby Days Final Figures Churchill Downs May 3 & May 4, 2024 
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Earth Wind Fire and Rain (1014 Views)
Posted by: Chuckles_the_Clown2 (IP Logged)
Date: February 25, 2007 08:03AM

bob, I read the first line of your essay and stopped reading. It was all I needed to read.

I seriously can't believe any individual could be a regular visitor to this site and still not comprehend the immense importance of the ancient elements to the sport of Horseracing and that despite being involved here still be devoid of any inclination whatsoever regarding their application in weather impacted areas of this country. It seriously boggles the mind, but the upside is you get to compete against those type at the windows.

I stand firmly behind my position that like Iraq, Polytrack is an experiment. The only part of the scientific method employed were observations and a hypothesis. There was no clinical study. There was no test group. There were no test results to derive a theory. There wasn't even any relevant local evidence. There was no rational thought.

I could tell you the precise basis why. I could itemize the specific problems that have arisen and will arise with that nonsense, but I don't work like that. Those things are for some to know and others to try and find out, if they are curious enough, but many want to view the world through the Rose Colored Glasses. I've said enough, but without divulging the detail, I have my own scientific theory based hypothesis that I will share: "Within a decade Polynonsense will no longer be the surface at Turfway Park." You may extrapolate from there.

I hope I do as well in this years Preakness as last. That was a scientific theory based wager as well and I'm proud of it. And my guess is thats the root of your recalcitrance.

What follows below is from another careful thinker:

Roger Stein
SoCal-based trainer
Host, The Roger Stein Show

I began training thoroughbred racehorses in 1987, after 10 successful years in the standardbred industry. I can honestly say, after 30 years in the horse business, I have never seen an industry-wide movement such as the one surrounding track surfaces. It really made me wonder if it was me who could no longer could consider himself "in the loop".

What was so wrong with nature's surfaces? After more than 100 years of horseracing, the people who make the decisions in our beloved game have decided that an immediate "switch" in the surfaces that we run on has become necessary? What am I missing? Are we losing horseplayers because of the composition of our main tracks? Are the horses careers being shortened because of the horrendous track conditions? Have we studied this phenomenon for a decade to make this extraordinary movement a sound and prudent decision?

If they had asked me, which no one has, maybe I would be in agreement that at some tracks, because of weather conditions and such, it might be wise to consider a "synthetic option", but certainly not the entire inventory of U.S. racetracks!

I am all for improvement in our industry, but not of the "microwave" decisions being made. Why not put in a synthetic track or two, in varying climates around the country, and study the results of such an experiment? Why not let the decision for so much change, be a sound scientific one... Or does that make too much sense?

I'm afraid we are now getting to the heart of the problem. Our horses, and maybe sometimes the monetary handle, will pay a significant price until we "tweak" these brand new experimental surfaces. One thing is clear for sure -- these synthetic surfaces are not the "panacea" for horseracing's woes, as some thought they would be.

Let's move forward and make continued progress so that the industry doesn't fall too far "behind the times", but let's be prudent the next time we address any similar "conceived by some" problems.

bob, I included the above comments of Roger Stein in the event you wanted to advise him to lay low too. I suspect what follows is what really bugs you and its included for context. (Warning to Barbaro Lovers, its my earnest belief that the world of horseracing is better off without the genetic influence of Barbaro. Don't read the following links if that offends you.)

http://www.thorograph.com/phorum/read.php?1,29113,29113#msg-29113

http://www.thorograph.com/phorum/read.php?1,29169,29169#msg-29169

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2007 09:27AM by Chuckles_the_Clown2.

Subject Written By Posted
Perspectives on artificial track surfaces (939 Views) asfufh 02/22/2007 11:20AM
Re: Perspectives on artificial track surfaces (496 Views) marcus 02/23/2007 03:05PM
Polytrack is like Iraq (560 Views) Chuckles_the_Clown2 02/24/2007 08:00AM
Re: Polytrack is like Iraq (519 Views) Blind Switch 02/24/2007 10:10AM
Re: Polytrack is like Iraq (521 Views) Frank 02/24/2007 12:54PM
Re: Polytrack is like Iraq (481 Views) Blind Switch 02/24/2007 01:20PM
Re: Polytrack is like Iraq (494 Views) Chuckles_the_Clown2 02/24/2007 02:33PM
Re: Polytrack is like Iraq (503 Views) marcus 02/24/2007 02:58PM
Re: Polytrack is like Iraq (475 Views) bobphilo 02/24/2007 11:35PM
Earth Wind Fire and Rain (1014 Views) Chuckles_the_Clown2 02/25/2007 08:03AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.