Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2024 Kentucky Oaks/Derby Days Final Figures Churchill Downs May 3 & May 4, 2024 
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Re: Numbers-Figures-Horse's ratings (610 Views)
Posted by: alm (IP Logged)
Date: May 18, 2007 11:26AM

These are terrific posts. Thanks to all.

While I have great respect for the type of analysis Thorograph figures allow, I think Jerry Brown would agree that both the figures and the analysis they encourage is subjective to some extent. In relation to this past Derby, I believe I saw something of greater importance than the figures...and I admit in advance this is completely a subjective observation.

I've been a breeder-owner for over 20 years and watching horse races for nearly 50. Regardless of the open path Street Sense had, his move past horses in the backstretch was relentless, but more important it was easy...one of the best middle moves I've seen...comparable to some of Secretariat's.

The fact this happened in the backstretch is important to my way of thinking. Serious contenders and their jockeys begin their drive moving towards the final turn and are accelerating to the best of their abilities at this point in the race. SS passed them so quickly that I, subjectively speaking, conclude he is a very special animal. A lot better than the others. Also, he was running for fun in the stretch...they didn't squeeze the lemon...didn't have to.

My guess is you will not see them take him back in the Preakness, rather I expect him to stalk the pace because his connections know that Hard Spun will not be gunning from the outset (because Lucas has FFC in there to do that) and will, therefore be more dangerous at the finish. Nafzger won't want HS streaking off to an insurmountable lead once Lucas' horse folds.

If I'm right about SS, he will win this race, but not until deep stretch and he will spend more time in a parked out position.

The only question in my mind about the Preakness is about the drug testing setup at Pimlico. Is it as tough as the setup they had at Churchill? If not, you can expect to see Curlin run bigger and perhaps TP's entries too.

Subject Written By Posted
Numbers-Figures-Horse's ratings (1248 Views) streetbull 05/17/2007 08:47PM
Re: Numbers-Figures-Horse's ratings (678 Views) MO 05/17/2007 09:51PM
Re: Numbers-Figures-Horse's ratings (646 Views) Sandreadis 05/17/2007 10:33PM
Re: Numbers-Figures-Horse's ratings (598 Views) MO 05/17/2007 11:50PM
Re: Numbers-Figures-Horse's ratings (546 Views) Sandreadis 05/18/2007 09:31AM
Re: Numbers-Figures-Horse's ratings (568 Views) MO 05/18/2007 10:56AM
Re: Numbers-Figures-Horse's ratings (583 Views) MO 05/18/2007 11:10AM
Re: Numbers-Figures-Horse's ratings (566 Views) streetbull 05/18/2007 01:34AM
Re: Numbers-Figures-Horse's ratings (548 Views) MO 05/18/2007 01:36AM
Re: Numbers-Figures-Horse's ratings (624 Views) fkach 05/18/2007 09:02AM
Re: Numbers-Figures-Horse's ratings (610 Views) alm 05/18/2007 11:26AM
Re: Numbers-Figures-Horse's ratings (533 Views) Uncle Buck 05/18/2007 05:24PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.