Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 1 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
BC F&M Turf - My View (1117 Views)
Posted by: Bill (IP Logged)
Date: October 23, 2002 02:54AM

We return to the scene of the crime of last years BC...Banks Hill going off at 6-1 after an impressive European campaign. Can she defend her title? Let's see...

Banks Hill - Unlike all but one of her European starts she gets the 10 furlongs she seemingly wants to have. After an impressive summer campaign (Losing to The Rock, Grandera and Best Of The Bests is nothing to sneeze at), one has to wonder if the Yellow Ribbon was a reaction to the races and short timed shipping or if she didn't care for the pavement like Santa Anita turf. The trip didn't help matters. Not sure what kind of "figures" she's going to receive for this years races, but her last is cause for a little bit of concern. Only 3 weeks rest, another almost cross-continental flight and several horses that look like her equal or superior? Have to try and beat her.

Chopinina - The move to Mr. Fehr's barn seemed to help this lady out quite a bit, making new tops with almost every start. (Anybody know ANYTHING about Fehr?) However she may have to improve yet again, about another 1-2 points if she wants to win this one. Might make an early lead as Islington and Kazzia looks like the only other speed threats and should save ground regardless of PP. Nice 2nd time Lasix for filly angle last out in the Atto Mile.

Dublino - Get a rather large weight concession of 1 point. I like the spacing and I like the short, but nice line. De Seroux has been on fire lately and this could very well be my key in a race filled with big names. Will be amongst the bigger prices. Although she is getting A LOT of attention out in speed figure world...

Golden Apples - One has to wonder what the effects of the last three will be, especially coming in off of 21 days rest. Note that she bore in last out. I don't like the fact that she still regressed off of the new top given the rest she was allowed before the Yellow Ribbon. I could see her backing up yet another point. At her prospective price, and somewhat iffy line, she could be worth playing against in the win slot.

Gossamer - Just behind The Rock and Banks Hill last out. You would think the distance was a concern, but the breeding says yes to the 10 panels. The question is the going. Seems to like a somewhat softer surface which won't be the case on Saturday. Hard to back with confidence.

Irresistible Jewel - Another of the many 3 year old Euros. Shipping off of the Arc undercard one has to wonder it's effects. Has run a couple of smart ones, but she appears to be a cut below the top European runners here.

Islington - Like the firm ground. Ran a BIG race in the Arc. Once again the question remains...what are the effects. If memory serves me correctly, haven't Arc day runners generally done poorly in the BC? However with the exception of her Oaks run over the bogs of Epsom, she's done little wrong and appears to be amongst the contenders.

Kazzia - Another who gets the weight allowance. Ran a very impressive Flower Bowl and if she improves off of that, she's right there when the photo is taken on the line. Can't fault her for much...

Owsley - She freaked in her last at CD. A product of the race day drug "rules" in Kentucky? Perhaps. Should bounce appropriately.

Riskaverse - Just declared "good to go" after latest work today. As for the line, nice forging line, but the 1 1/2 point top combined with the short rest scares me a bit, even with the 5 pound break. Maybe a piece.

Starine - Very dangerous and impressive line. But the question always remains, "What about the ground loss?" Almost always wide, thereby inflating her figures relative to her finish position. Should run 2 and change, but with the weights and the ground loss, victory is shaky at best.

Turtle Bow - Tough read. Nice season overseas, and OK North American debut. Will have to move forward a bit, and with the spacing should have time to do so. Another amongst the 3 year old contenders.

Voodoo Dancer - Much like Starrine, one who's numbers look better than the finishes due to ground loss in both turns. I figure her to run a 3, but with the weights and ground loss, it could be a lost cause.

Zenda - Ran a big one in the Coronation Stakes, and backed it up with a nice run in the QE II. But now off of 14 days rest isn't the time for a 3 year old filly to improve. Nice, but probably not nice enough here.

As you can see, I am really big on the 3 year olds here. They can run the same figures as their elders, and they get the weight. As for who I'm keying, it's going to be Dublino. I love the spacing, like the connections and the price will be JUICY. Maybe a Dublino/Other 3 yo's/ALL triple? In a race as close as this one appears to be, price dictates the play.

Subject Written By Posted
BC F&M Turf - My View (1117 Views) Bill 10/23/2002 02:54AM
Re: BC F&M Turf - My View (628 Views) Mall 10/24/2002 02:17AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.