Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 1 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Re: A role model for racing? (818 Views)
Posted by: Mall (IP Logged)
Date: November 10, 2002 12:47PM

Chris: Vegas(which btw uses Autotoe), the banks, any number of govt agencies,etc,etc,could be a role model for an industry which is using Pascal, a programming language which came on the scene when I was in college. The question, as I see it, is not identifying security steps, which are well known in many industries, but why the tote cos did not invest or implement any of the systems which were available.

In that regard, the reporting has been very disappointing. Autotoe has hired a PR firm & part of the spin is that the lack of security was because the tracks, i.e. the customers, used competitive bidding in awarding contracts. Huh? In addition to reporting this nonsense w/o indicating that it originated at Autotote's PR firm, it seems to me to that some reporters do not understand how the free enterprise system works, not to mention the history of Autotote. If anything, the tracks should make the bids even more competitve by opening up the competition to those outside the US.

Autotote was an Australian co. which Weil gained control of in a leveraged buyout engineered by Drexel, before that firm was convicted of numerous felonies, in 1979. Junk bonds have to be serviced, and that's where a large portion of the money Autotote received from the racing industry went. No surprise, then, that spending on security issues took a back seat. But the $19 million leveraged buyout of Autotote was nothing compared to Autotote's $300 million cash acquisition of Scientific Games, a lottery supplier, in 2000. Guess where a large portion of the cash came from, and what revenue "backed" the new junk bonds? If you guessed racing, give yoursel a pat on the back, and consider the answer to this bonus question: Why does it make sense to blame the tracks because they didn't pay Weil & Autotote enough to service his junk debt & meet his contractual obligations to provide a secure system, given that it was income from racing & technology developed with racing dollars which allowed Weil to acquire the the lottery co in the 1st place?

It doesn't, and as Exhibit A consider betinternet.com plc group, which is in the business of processing bets in many different languages & currencies through a "super hub" in the Isle of Man. The super hub is said to be able to process 28 million transactions per hr. The fact that this co. invested equity to purchase state of the art equipment so that it could expand its betting transactions processing business makes the spin that the racing industry wasn't paying enough ring hollow, in my opinion.

Ironically, the super hub equip was designed by & purchased from the other tote co, Amtote, so what we have is the not-unusual-anymore situation where a US co. designs & sells a system which is more advanced than anything we have in the US. Ken Ramsey, and John Pricci & many others want Autotote replaced, & so do I. Racing ought to figure out a way to cancel the Autotote contracts & open the business up to competitive bidding which includes all suppliers, for a business which Weil himself said, when talking to financial analysts, produces an "unheard of" profit margin.

Subject Written By Posted
A role model for racing? (1369 Views) derby1592 11/10/2002 03:18AM
Re: A role model for racing? (818 Views) Mall 11/10/2002 12:47PM
Re: A role model for racing? (848 Views) OPM 11/11/2002 03:23AM
Voila! (805 Views) Mall 11/11/2002 12:05PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.