Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 1 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Voila! (805 Views)
Posted by: Mall (IP Logged)
Date: November 11, 2002 12:05PM

The $64k question, OPM, the one I've been wondering if anyone was ever going to ask. Anyone who is able to put together a coherent & well informed letter/email will have more of an impact than he or she might imagine for 2 reasons. One reason is that most people don't take the time or make the effort. The second is that a fairly high percentage of those that do make the effort are either nutcases or those who have some agenda other than what is best for the game.

The easiest & best way to keep informed so that what you write is credible is through 2 sites I'd never heard of prior to this, to wit: equidaily.com & geocities.com/nywagering/, which provide links to all of the media covering the story & have archives of past coverage. The news today is that the 3 will be charged with wire fraud & are going to turn themselves in tomorrow.

For those that have information or an opinion & want it to be considered, these are the groups you might want to contact: (1) The NTRA, which is spearheading the effort & which on its site has Tim Smith specifically asking fans to "Let me know." The email address is ntra@ntra.com Things that you might want to let Mr Smith know are whether you think the changes which have already been made are enough, whether you think Jim Quinn's inclusion in the Wagering & Technology Group will restore serious fans' confidence, whether you agree that there should be no backward investigation into past incidents, etc, etc. I am certain that comments directed to the Tech Group or the task forces which have been formed will reach the intended reciient. (2) Barry Schwartz & the NYRA, which on its sites indicates that they appreciate your comments & suggestions, which can be sent to nyra@nyrainc.com My suggestions are that the bettors which were swindled on 10/5 be paid by Autotote asap, & that Autotote & Lorne Weil be held accountable. In that regard, I have seen a post by an investor, which I have not been able to verify, that Weil has received $30 million in compensation over the last 10 yrs. I wonder how that compares with the amount which Autotote spent on security during the same time frame. (3) The reporters who have taken the lead on this story, particularly if you have information or an angle which you think needs to be covered. For the most part, the email addresses are not difficult to locate & you might be surprised at how receptive they are to legitimate info & leads. (4) Ken Ramsey, to let him know that you support the positions set forth in his full page letter on the back page of the 11/7 drf. It didn't include an email address, but rather the farm address, which is: Ramsey Farm,Inc., 6915 Harrodsburg Road, Nicholasville, KY 40356-8722. Assuming you agree with what he has to say, & was willing to go to a lot of trouble & expense to express, the letter can serve as a proxy when you contact the other groups, as in something like: "I'm writing to express my agreement with Mr. Ramsey's Nov 7 letter, and to let you know that the only way confidence will be restored is if each of the important items in his letter are addressed."

The game is at an important crossroads, & each of you has the opportunity to make your voice heard if you're willing to put forth what to me seems minimall effort. Do it today, the sooner the better.

Subject Written By Posted
A role model for racing? (1369 Views) derby1592 11/10/2002 03:18AM
Re: A role model for racing? (819 Views) Mall 11/10/2002 12:47PM
Re: A role model for racing? (848 Views) OPM 11/11/2002 03:23AM
Voila! (805 Views) Mall 11/11/2002 12:05PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.