Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  The Modesty Stakes Churchill May 3, 2024  • 2 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
EPO (1132 Views)
Posted by: Mall (IP Logged)
Date: February 07, 2003 10:34AM

Also known as Epogen, and the similar drug Aransep, were developed primarily to treat kidney disease-related anemia by stimulating the production of red blood cells. Uses were later expanded to include people with HIV & on chemotherapy. Both medications are patented by Amgen.

There are a number of documented cases of human athletes who have used EPO to increase their endurance in cycling & track competitions. In contrast, EPO was originally and properly used to treat anemia in horses, though some vets advised against it because of its potential to harm, or with prolonged use, even kill the horse. During this time, one group of sheets players who also owned a fairly large contingent of horses did a study of all of their horses to determine if EPO caused improved performance. Three mos & $80k later, they decided it did not & discontinued its use.

The big change came when it was learned that performance in longer races could be improved if the dosages used were increased drastically. Some believe this knowledge resulted from a study which was funded by a well known & well heeled breeder/owner with help from a vet who is suspected of playing an important role in EPO's proliferation. The advantages in using EPO, particularly after it was banned, are the well known ones that until recently there was no test to detect if it had been used, and it could be administered "out of competition." Apparently, there are trainers who know more about administering it(and other illegal meds) than vets, and do it themselves. There apparently are also vets willing to do just about anything a trainer tells them to do, which is rationalized in the usual ways.

The "sweep" of the barns & the cars of racetrack vets which was conducted prior to the start of the last Sar meet, and another sweep which was conducted during the meet, were part of an effort to try to stop, or at least reduce, EPO use. In conjunction with the sweeps, all NY racetrack vets were required to sign a written acknowledgment that they would not possess or use EPO.

Hence, my enforcement idea, which I understood to be putting a band aid on one small part of a very big problem, while everyone was waiting for the EPO tests, was that the TRPB approach Amgen, alone or in conjunction with the DEA or FDA, agencies they have a working relationship with, and obtain documentation for any of the approx 250 NY racetrack vets who ordered or received EPO or Arensep after 9/1/02. This was done, but unfortunately the response was one I probably should have anticipated, namely that both drugs are distributed through wholesalers, who sell to intermediaries & pharmacies. I am led to believe that there is some way of tracking individuals who are ordering or receiving large amts of a particular drug, even when it's not classified as a narcotic. If anyone knows how to obtain it, the TRPB remains interested in info along these lines despite the new tests.

The above was pieced together based on discussions with two clean trainers & an honest vet, as well as a conversation with JB's Wall Street biotech buddy, who you should talk to BB, assuming you are serious about writing(or maybe coauthoring) an article on the subject. He was instrumental in exposing milkshaking & has a "big picture" idea for attacking the overall problem, which I am convinced both makes some sense & might be timely, given early signs coming from the Racing Medication and Testing Consortium and the proposed TBred "Tour." However, I'm afraid based on what I know now that an article on EPO would be historical in nature. As I see it, the old adage that the cheaters are one step ahead of the regulatory authorities falls into the category of gross understatment. It's more like five.

Subject Written By Posted
EPO (1132 Views) Mall 02/07/2003 10:34AM
Re: EPO (788 Views) Silver Charm 02/07/2003 11:14AM
Re: EPO (640 Views) magicnight 02/07/2003 02:34PM
Re: EPO (624 Views) Mall 02/07/2003 04:59PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.