Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  The Modesty Stakes Churchill May 3, 2024  • 2 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Buddy will you spare the Shine? (554 Views)
Posted by: Tabitha (IP Logged)
Date: April 27, 2003 10:26AM

I like Buddy Gil. But then I like this whole Derby. Its not that I’m sold on a winner yet its just that I see so many horses that look like they can be extremely competitive. Post position and pace will be a factor but with a little luck I think it could produce boxcar mutuals. I have a challenge for Jerry’s readers. Winnow out half the field! Post 10 horses you don’t believe will hit the top 4 spots. I think winning that wager may prove harder than selecting the winner of this Derby:

Empire Maker - Who is brave enough to toss him? Who will close their eyes to his negatives and perhaps get Arazied?

Ten Most Wanted - What’s an Illinois Derby winner anyway?

Peace Rules - Tell me this one ain’t an addict

Askmewhatimtalknbout – A.P.Indy and Roberto blood. Was Santa Anita Derby an off race?

Buddy Gil – Bled in last and won. The little horse that could?

Kafwain – San Vincente was quick. Still recovering but running game while doing so? Breeding says distance limitations. Are you sure?

Brancusi – To me, this horse is just learning to run. That step up from maiden win and the Champagne say a lot.

Funny Cide – Is that a forging pattern? Can he improve off Wood? Why not? Does he have to improve off it?

Indian Express – Has anyone looked closely at this animal?

Scrimshaw – Hate the trainer but I won’t let this horse beat me

Sir Cherokee – Another Cherokee Run that can’t go long, with an effort out of the clouds. Can a horse really finish like that?

Eye of the Tiger – This one will be in my 10 that can’t compete

Offlee Wild – Nicely bred and sharpos are supposedly backing him. At this point he is one of my 10 to toss however. How many Wild Again’s have won the Derby anyway?

Outta Here – Intriguing animal. Seems to have run against his pace preference in the 2 million dollar sand race after laying off. Won a 500K race prior to that. Think it was a small Louisana track. Not sure yet. I’ll know by Derby time though. I have to wonder about chasing 2 million in Sand money if you’re serious about a Derby effort. Is on EVERYBODIES toss list. Not mine, not yet.

Senor Swinger – I think Baffert got overly impressed with Medaglia D’ Oro. Think he chased this one with some bad money.

Lone Star Sky – Best race was the Louisiana Derby. Can’t see enough, on my list of 10 to toss.

Supah Blitz – Everyone hates him. Beaten 12 by E.M. and 3 by Dynever. Everyone calls him a Florida Bred sprinter. His daddy won the Super Derby over a horse I loved. He also won the Arlington Million. The dam side breeding is very obscure but not insignificant in Florida. The trainer doesn’t leave town with a horse without a prayer. Granted he may be doing the anniversary thing for his wife. I think this horse is dying to run somewhere other than Hallandale. I can’t toss him.

Ten Cents a Shine – I’ll make book that despite the fact that Lukas talked the owners into anteing up for the Derby that this horse finishes LAST.

Evolving Tactics – in the ten that wont hit the top four.

Domestic Dispute – This was never Baffert’s top horse. The sale proves it. I wouldn’t toss him but for the sale. Now I’m nearly certain he hasn’t got what it takes. It would be interesting to see him run well and mar Baffert’s reputation for knowing a horse. But I don’t think that will happen.

Tabi

Post Edited (04-27-03 10:48)

Subject Written By Posted
what's the knock on buddy gil? (1045 Views) Jersey City Jake 04/27/2003 09:34AM
Buddy will you spare the Shine? (554 Views) Tabitha 04/27/2003 10:26AM
Re: what's the knock on buddy gil? (570 Views) LasVegasHorseplayer 04/27/2003 04:00PM
Re: what's the knock on buddy gil? (633 Views) Michael D. 04/28/2003 03:18PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.